Glowworm boiler starts and stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glow-worm Fuelsaver 55F boiler cuts off after 2 mins or so of operating. Then everything stops, including the (extractor) fan and I could hear the gas valve shutting. When I checked I found that there is no power (230V) to the fan. It takes a long while to restart – I have to switch off mains and on again. Could the problem be with the PCB, Air pressure switch or the gas control assemble – or something else??
I tried taking the thermostat out of the casing and starting the boiler – to avoid thermostat (if faulty) cutting off the boiler. It still cuts off in a minute or 2 mins of operation.
What could be the problem? Grateful for any help.

Sponsored Links
chans said:
Glow-worm Fuelsaver 55F boiler cuts off after 2 mins or so of operating. Then everything stops, including the (extractor) fan and I could hear the gas valve shutting. When I checked I found that there is no power (230V) to the fan. It takes a long while to restart – I have to switch off mains and on again. Could the problem be with the PCB, Air pressure switch or the gas control assemble – or something else??
I tried taking the thermostat out of the casing and starting the boiler – to avoid thermostat (if faulty) cutting off the boiler. It still cuts off in a minute or 2 mins of operation.
What could be the problem? Grateful for any help.

it could be a programmer fault you would need someone to check the system componants wiring.

Sponsored Links
I would say air pressure switch, am I correct in thinking this is the one with the black dungs aps?, if so and to check the fault you can undo the plastic centre screw and the boiler should fire up. You will need to check the emissions though as the problem could be a slow fan or blocked tubes.

I'm not a plumber but i had a similar problem a few months ago. After 4 service visits and after they'd changed the PCB twice, thermostat once, fan assembly, air pressure switch to no avail!

It turned out to be a gadget I don't know the name of. It's a little fail-safe valve that cuts off the boiler etc when the water stops flowing.
It's the first part of the boiler that water reaches when it enters the casing.
No problems since.

joe.

Thanks folks – I’m most grateful for you taking time to respond.

I found that the air pressure switch turning off – as the boiler cuts off, and then found that the fan had stopped working. Although the fan starts working initially – it appears that after few minutes it comes to a stop. Then I connected the fan directly to the mains – no joy, it doesn’t work at all!

But the fun part was removing the fan – one screw head gave way – and it took nearly 2-3 hours to remove the screw and then the fan assembly. Once I replace the fan assembly – I’ll let you know the outcome.

Any recommendations on place to buy a fan – I found:
- keeptheheaton.com
- c-h-s.co.uk
- adlinkuk.com
Adlink cheapest as it offers reconditioned units.

Thank again
Don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back