1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Glue wood to floating chipboard? Tatami mat installation

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by jmb86, 1 Jul 2005.

1. jmb86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Conservatory is built :)

Floating floor (DPM + 100mm concrete screed + 100mm Jabolite + DPM + 22mm chip) laid :D

55mm thick tatami mats laid out :D

35mm gap all the way round needs filling with wooden floor :confused:

The mats are 55mm deep, so I had considered laying a 35mm x 55mm (ash) wooden strip all the way round the room. Question is, how do I get it to stay down? The T&G chipboard is fully glued and rock solid. I am guessing, but provided I ONLY stick to the chipboard (and not the walls, indeed, I should leave a 10mm gap and put a bead over it) then I should be okay?

There could be a difference in expansion between the chipboard and solid ash (or whatever). Would Evo gripfix be strong enough?

Or any better ideas?

TIA

jmb86

2. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    "There could be a difference in expansion between the chipboard and solid ash (or whatever)."
    Yes but not too much in the direction of the grain in the ash. You need a wood scientist to tell you the figures!

"Would Evo gripfix be strong enough?" Probably, though it's a bit thick. PVA or woodworkers Yellow Glue would be easier.

Try a woodworkers forum?

3. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Normally you only need a 10mm gap between wooden floor and wall. Since you're only installing a wooden frame of 35mm wide there is not really a need for an expansion gap.