Gluing a bathroom mirror with a demister pad to wall

BHI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have scoured the pages, and read mixed responses but none that specifically cover all my questions...

Basically, is there a suitable mirror adhesive to attach a large bathroom mirror to a bathroom wall. It's temporarily attached by clips at the moment, but there is a lot of movement as a result.

The mirror is 1200mm x 960mm, foil-backed from IKEA.

The demister pad only covers the lower-mid section of the mirror.

The wall is painted plaster.

The mirror will be supported in a landscape-orientation on a row of tiles so that it is flush.

The wall, however, is not absolutely perfectly flat (slight horizontal bulge in the centre, and slightly out of vertical)

Questions:

1. What adhesive genuinely doesn't cause the de-silvering of mirrors over time?

2. If supported on the tiling below, will an adhesive be strong enough to hold the mirror against the wall when not carrying all the weight?

3. Will the foil de-laminate as opposed to non-foil backed mirrors (it is from IKEA after all). I understand that foil-backed mirrors are safer should they break...

4. Do I need to prep the painted wall other than a quick sand and wipe? Perhaps a coat of diluted PVC glue?

5. Will the demister pad cause any adhesive to soften and fail?

6. Do you use adhesive on the demister pad too, or just directly to the mirror backing that surrounds the pad (pad takes up a quarter of the total area).

7. Does condensation from above above the heated secton of the mirror drip down over the heated portion mirror? Does this cause the mirror to crack as some reports have suggested?

Many thanks with all your advice,

Sponsored Links
Just save yourself all that grief and open the bathroom window more frequently to prevent mirror misting up in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back