Going fibre broadband & moving master socket.

Unless they have reason to think it's "out of the ordinary" then no, they don't.
The problem seems to be that even if the customer tells the sales people that it is an out of the ordinary installation that message doesn't ( cannot ) get through to the OpenReach team involved in planning the work.

Sponsored Links
Oh well that answers my next question then - as I was wondering it a message could be relayed via Sky about the install. I figured id be better off asking Siri to do it but oh well. Looks like they'll have to get irritated when thy come out then & give it the ol' rolley-eyes & tutting.

This thread on the Sky forum is pretty shocking http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Talk-line-rental/Master-Socket-move-HELP/td-p/28021

Although hopefully we wont have such trouble since we 'wont have' a socket to begin with.

Going to get it ordered up later tonight or this weekend some time. They can't say that it HAS to go where it currently is as that is where the line currently terminates can they? Just out of curiosity so i know if i have any ground to argue with them on if they can't force that.

Calm down, you are getting all worked up about something that has not happened.

Also, don't have attitude with the guy/guys who come to do the work or they will walk, I would.

Sponsored Links
I'm not getting worked up. ;). I was just reading & was surprised (maybe I shouldn't have been) at the back & forth with Sky & BT in that thread for that customer. That's all.

This thread on the Sky forum is pretty shocking http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Talk-line-rental/Master-Socket-move-HELP/td-p/28021[/QUOTE]
That's absolutely <expletive> awful. There really is absolutely zero excuse for a communications provider (CP) to be advising people to break the terms of contract between the customer and the CP, the terms of the contract between the CP and BT OR, and the law. Would have been fun if a few people had recorded the advice and then sent the recordings to OfCon* and BT OR with a view to getting Sky's licence revoked - the threat of that might may Sky management wake up :rolleyes:

They can't say that it HAS to go where it currently is as that is where the line currently terminates can they? Just out of curiosity so i know if i have any ground to argue with them on if they can't force that.
No, they have to put the socket why YOU ask for it. There are some limitations, but in your case I can't see that being an issue. The fact that there's an exiting drop cable in place is merely a convenience for them.

What I would do is pull the cable out of the wall (and fill the hole) so there's slightly less incentive for him to try and persuade you to put it where the cable currently terminates.
What the technician will probably do is cut the dropwire shortly after it reaches the house above your red X, put an external joint box in, and run a new external cable from there across and down to the green X.

If you have along thin drill, you could try drilling a hole through where you want the cable to come in (slope it downwards towards the outside so water won't run in) and put a bit of wire through to use as a pull cord. You can take your time, especially when "breaking through" - while the BTOR guy will be against the clock so will likely use lots of pressure and risk "blowing off" a chunk of brick or rendering. You might consider drilling from the outside-in - it's easier to fix a bit of plaster than rendering.

* EDIT: Nearly forgot - OfCon is a deliberate misspelling. It's a complete con and OfCom seem to have suffered from regulatory capture - they are supposed to regulate the industry for our benefit, but now they seem to be more interested in keeping the industry happy. Revolving doors between a regulator and the industry they regulate never seem to be a good idea.

the people on that thread are trying to get the master socket moved on their existing, working, lines.

you on the other hand are having a new line installed, and as I said right at the very start, you get to pick where you want it to be, so forget about what's already there.

I will say this again,REMOVE THE SOCKET and play dumb....when the line is connected at the exchange they will run a test and if the line is testing ok they will NOT send a engineer out so you will be stuck where it is or pay to have it moved... take simons advice take off the socket ,pull the wire out and if possible drill the hole.. it will make the job quicker for him and you will probably get what you require

Yeah the socket is already off now. If I pull the wires out it'll take half the wall with it so I'll fill it.

Not keen on drilling the wall myself. Not really confident to be doing that so I'll take my chances with the bloke doing it.

Decision now is only Sky or BT. Sky are cheaper but I've been reading negative things about their router & lack of help once they have your money. On the other hand even though BT are dearer, the feedback seems to be more positive. Better range on the router/hub, faster speeds.

I may lump with BT for the first contract to get the connection set up & maybe switch to Sky on the renewal.

Thanks for that.

Went through TopCashBack to get the £151 cashback & then £10 a month for 12 months on that deal was a steal.

Although i'm not sure they're going to send someone out :eek: :eek: The sign up process said i had an inactive line & that they probably wont need to send anyone out.

Having said that, i thought they need to change the master socket when putting fibre in, so i guess we will be seeing someone.

that's why you were told to take the socket off, so their line test fails and they do need to send someone. we're not just all rolly eyes and tutting after all lol

that's why you were told to take the socket off, so their line test fails
If only that was true.
My experience is that "they" can "line test" a pair with no socket attached and pass it as a working line. "they" in sales will tell the person looking at the cut end of the drop wire that the line is working.

Unless things have changed very recently they have to send someone out for the "fiber" (really FTTC) install anyway.

Thought most ISP's were going the self install route these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back