Going it alone advise welcome?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys advise welcome

I have been in the heating game now 15years, working from BG, Boiler manufacture, eon. Carn't take any more corporate rubbish! Any good links to good van deals new ones! And advertising,websites, local papers, anyone had any luck offering finance? I am vaillant approved and hope to get work from that as I can offer my customers a better warranty.

Cheers Ideal!

Sponsored Links
Best of Luck to you , seriously . As to new vans I`ve always applied the same principle as to cars -they loose £hundreds as soon as they leave the forecourt :cry: I personally would be looking @ auctions where general stuff and liquidated stock/cars/vans are sold - something 2-3 years old

Hi guys advise welcome

I have been in the heating game now 15years, working from BG, Boiler manufacture, eon. Carn't take any more corporate rubbish! Any good links to good van deals new ones! And advertising,websites, local papers, anyone had any luck offering finance? I am vaillant approved and hope to get work from that as I can offer my customers a better warranty.

Cheers Ideal!
Do not go out and buy a new van until you have a regular income and you have tested the market.
Do not borrow any money at all.
Do not start even thinking about going self emp unless you have a lot of 'wool on your back'.
Do not assume all you have to do is chuck a few adverts in the paper and the calls will fly in.
Do not believe everything you hear from tradesmen who say they are doing fantastic.
Do not risk your families comfort for the sake of working for yourself.

DO-- stay in your current employment and build up a customer base re - weekend work.
DO place some adverts in local newsagents and post offices (cheap).
DO build up your tool kit.
DO keep some money aside for emergencies.
DO sort out some medical insurance.
DO source a good accountant who will save you money .

And almost finally- be patient . It takes a really long time to build up a client base- . Be dedicated-- or if you cant be- stay working for a employer.

Most importantly- Do Not forget- your families wlfare comes first- so- get your wifes approval before you take a major step.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Exactly what Petey said. I went self emp 17 years ago. I was still working for my employer for 6 months after I started my business. Had the calls diverted to my mobile and i'd ring them back on my lunch break and said i'd pop around in the evening as I was busy all day. I booked all the work for as far ahead as I could to give me time to serve my notice and I went into 2 months of solid work.

Good luck

hes from the land of the sheep worrier so wool on his back is a saturday night up there

my advice is stay with the firm there are too many of these career change fast trackers about you wont survive as SE :LOL:

I agree with Kirkgas.

Stay put at least until after the building picks up if it ever does.

Single man with a wad stashed away that will last a few years with no commitments, then go for it, you'll love the worry, about paying the bills and where the next meal is coming from.

I agree with Kirkgas.

Stay put at least until after the building picks up if it ever does.

Single man with a wad stashed away that will last a few years with no commitments, then go for it, you'll love the worry, about paying the bills and where the next meal is coming from.

Very True doitall-- BUT- these days- any company large or small can 'pull the rug from under your feet' without a moments notice. As lots of people know.
I agree in these difficult times- it's best to covert what one has got and tread water.
However- it's no good 'wondering what may have been' in years to come.
It really is a hard decision to go it alone. Lots of people try it and fail.
A good honest 'tradesman' will always find work if that happens.
Times have changed over last 10 years- and dont look like getting better anytime soon in this game.
It's a tough call indeed.

No thanks to you Kirkgas.

That old saying the ones that carn't teach, the ones that can do.

Don't know how you have the cheek to post on a site full of SE Engineers, when the likes of your self have destroyed the industry.

I went alone 10 years ago , I like all the advice here I did it this way . Stayed employed till I had 6 months work all the tools and a reliable van ....not a new van. Borrowings and cash flow will drown any company quicker than being quiet.

I went alone 10 years ago , I like all the advice here I did it this way . Stayed employed till I had 6 months work all the tools and a reliable van ....not a new van. Borrowings and cash flow will drown any company quicker than being quiet.

Sensible guy-- that's why he is still throbbing after 10 years.

Sponsored Links
Back