Good drill/driver bit set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the site so apologies if this has been asked a million times but I couldn't quite answer the question by searching past posts.

I've just bought a new house which requires a LOT of DIY over the next few months. I had previously bought one of those 100PC B&Q bit sets for around £30, this was fine for screwing/drilling one or two screws for a shelf once in a blue moon in our old house but I've wrecked most of the set now as they must be made from Plasticine or something. They just seem to fall apart in my power driver/drill when I go to do some work, not to mention the amount of screws I've rounded as the bits crumble in the wall and end up needing drilled out.

My question is this, what should I buy as a set of good quality drill and drivers bits for a house full of DIY jobs. I looked at DeWalt and Bosch but read various reports on their quality.

What type of metal should they be made of, how much is too much for DIY as opposed to professional tradesman gear.

I bought one hardened bit for taking up an old decking area a while back and it's awesome, unscrewed hundreds of old rusty screws with no problem and still nice and fresh looking but it was £5! I don't fancy spending £5 x 100 pieces but on the other hand I want to buy once and not have to buy again.

I need a set that I can go to for almost any job I'm doing, something with some torx as well would be good.

All help and suggestions would be great.

Sponsored Links
I don't fancy spending £5 x 100 pieces but on the other hand I want to buy once and not have to buy again.
You don't need 100 pieces or anything like it.

For most general work, 5.5mm drill bits, red plastic plugs, No8 screws in 2 or 3 lengths and PZ driver bit will be fine.

All of the above can be purchased separately so you actually know what you are buying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back