good quality dvd and hdd recorder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI.i am looking for a decent dvd recorder.i have a lot of family happy memories on hi8,8 or vhs.camera is still working so i want to transfer everything onto dvd.any recomendations.i would prefer svhs input as well as other inputs.thanks.

Sponsored Links
What connection on camera you may need an old DVD hard-drive recorder if you need firewire.

It's more to do with connection to camera than quality of machine.
i have hi 8 sony camera and most of the family footage is on hi 8.i also have some footage on vhs.i have a vhs machine in the family so i can use it to copy it on dvd.vhs has scart out put and camera has analauge audio and video out also svhs out put.

When digital TV came in in my area there were loads of cheap recorders without digital tuners which since I use only satellite did not worry me. Only down side is clock does not auto correct.

First DVD recorder I had was from Aldi and had no hard drive however it would record old VCR's without a problem. It failed and Aldi gave me money back and second a Philips was cheaper and did have a hard drive but it would not allow me to record copy write VCR's.

I have 3 players of DVD's connected to my TV and not one has all functions. One will play Blu-ray as well, one records as well, one plays back still pictures. Each one also has a different list of formats it will handle.

There is really no good or bad DVD with hard drive each has something different. I was surprised to find my Blu-ray will not play VCD's.

The main difference in recorders is how they show the menu. Old Aldi one would only allow 8 letters in the name from memory but new one does allow more.

Both allowed some editing so I can remove adverts for example. In theory I should be able to use PC but mine is just too old and slow. At least the one with TV card.

The firewire on my DVD recorder was pure look. I did not realise both camera and DVD had it until after buying but it does make transfer easy. I set up DVD then switch on camera and recording starts with camera and stops when recording stops. Not when tape runs out but when recording stops. So if just 5 minutes that's all it records for so I can walk away and let it do it's own thing.

The only thing I don't like about mine for some strange reason anything transferred from the blu-ray player is in USA format. Must be a signal from blu-ray as all other devices it records as PAL.

You can't look at any data plate to work out things like that. So I would buy from a shop which allows returns.

I will watch to see if anyone else says anything. Problem is the pros will not be using old tape camcorders like me and you so likely they can not help. With the digital tape camcorder it is stereo but the analogue with the larger tapes is mono so I either use a combiner or plug the digital camcorder into spare channel and use it's microphone to add a descriptive speech track.

Sponsored Links
The Panasonic DMR-EX75 has S-video in as well as other analogue inputs.

My own home recorder is a Philips DVDR520H. We used to use it for archiving from Sky+. That did a pretty good job including editing out adverts. The only limitation from your point of view is the lack of an S-video input.

The Panasonic DMR-EX75 uses bad capacitors, which fail, producing symptoms that look like tuner failure. Capacitors need to be replaced with correct "low ESR" versions.

The Panasonic DMR-EX75 has S-video in as well as other analogue inputs.

My own home recorder is a Philips DVDR520H. We used to use it for archiving from Sky+. That did a pretty good job including editing out adverts. The only limitation from your point of view is the lack of an S-video input.
any suggestions on last years models.dibfficult to make the mind up.my budget is £ 300.max.would like the one with analsuge and digital inputs.also want with sd card input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back