Got planning, in build and neighbour complains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a double garage to the front of my house. It has a 40 degree roof so it's quite tall.

Subbed planning 2 years ago, gave the neighbours plans and everyone seemed happy. Got approval.

Now a neighbour has complained. I asked him about it last night and why he'd gone to the council and not come to me, he gave a lame excuse. He then started getting really irate and said he would burn it down and rip my head off before telling me 'you dont want to get on the wrong side of me'

i remained calm through this, i'm comfortable he's not a threat physically to me but my partner lives here on her own during the week as I'm working away.

The council are round later to check the building against plans but wtf do i do about the pyscho neighbour?

I can obviously put some screening up so we can't actually see them anymore but should i inform the police?

Sponsored Links
A tricky and uncomfortable situation to be in, you could approach him again, maybe he was having a bad day (no excuse of course) however if you consider he is a threat then obviously inform the police? Maybe have your phone surreptitiously recording your conversation with him?

Bear in mind any disputes etc with neighbours technically need to be declared when you sell.

Be interesting to see what others think.

Yes you should inform the Police and also the councils ASBO team. And keep records of any incidents or damage to property or cars etc

I second the others advice, and also perhaps suggest adding cctv overlooking the site in response to that direct threat, and checking your insurance is good.

Seems very odd to be threatened without provocation, unless he really is a gold plated nutter.

Sponsored Links
so not a peep yesterday and building resumes on Monday

the planning guys say i need to file a non material amendment because the building is 60cm further from the houses than in plan, no biggy apparently.

i haven't been to the fuzz, i've no desire for things to escalate so i'll be putting up some screening today

amazing reaction by this guy, while i was angry he'd gone to the council rather than talk to me i didnt even raise my voice, just told him i was disappointed. ah well, like dig says gold plated nutter :D

I asked him about it last night and why he'd gone to the council and not come to me, he gave a lame excuse.

I don't think you've told us the whole story here.

I can see two possible ways of you asking him:

1) "The Council have told me you've raised some concerns about the garage, but didn't mention specifically what they were. Would you mind going through them with me?"
2) "I'm disappointed you didn't come to me first. What's your problem?"

If you took approach 1, the guy's a nutter. If you took approach 2, you're being arrogant and condescending, which turns many sane people into nutters.

I'm not excusing his response, but bear in mind that the guy may have an actual mental issue. In which case, does he have a wife/grown-up offspring/carer you could discuss the garage with?

What was the "lame excuse" he gave you? You mention putting up screening: is that to try and placate the neighbour?

You have all legal right to put up your garage, but having an ongoing quarrel with neighbours is very stressful because it sets you on edge in the one place you should be guaranteed security and relaxation. If you can get it sorted out with the neighbour then that's better for you too!!!

donk.. it's an interesting point so let me add some context.

previously we've been to his 40th birthday bash, also been to a gig with him. the dorris was concerned he was a bit of a goon so she wanted to keep our distance (he fell out with a lifelong mate who was literally always round his house about a year ago).

my approach was undoubtedly nearer 2. i was angry but i never raised my voice, just said i would have expected, based on our previous relationship that he would come to me first.

i didn't instigate this so there's nothing i can do other than warn him that if he enters the boundary of my property or approaches me i'll assume he's there to make good on his threats and will respond appropriately. I'm no angel but i am civil and i was certainly civil above and beyond that evening.

he clearly has a mental health issue but you cannot go around threatening folk and expect all will be ok. he's now fallen out with most of the people around him, he's a scrote.

his lame excuse was 'i havent seen you for months' he lives next door to me ffs

And ... ?????

That was three years ago - what happened ?

We need closure !

not 3 years ago - last year

the amendments to the planning were approved, the garage is complete with an office in the loft. the smackhead neighbour apologised and all is cool again, we keep our distance, a new hedge is growing to screen them out :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back