Grannie Flat/Annex in back garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where to start with this one, thought I would try and pick the brains of some more experienced heads than mine!

I have a 3 bed semi on a 80's housing estate, the house has a garage to the side of the house (not attached)with a brick built shed attached to the back of it.

My plan is to extend the shed at the back of the garage into a single story 1 bedroom house. (It will need bathroom, kitchen bedroom and living area.) I want this so that I can rent the main house out but have a flat to return to when I'm not travelling around in my motor home.

Here are a few things that I have thought of but don't have answers too:

Do I need PP to extend my shed?
Do I need PP for change of use?
Will it incur extra Council Tax?
Can I sub-meter off the original houses services? (Electric and Water Only)
Foul is not an issue.
Access can be gained to the new house from the rear of the garden (as it backs onto another street)
What to Planning Consultants do? (Are they worth employing or should I just apply for PP if needed)
Is it OK to split the back garden in half to suit the needs of this project?
I understand that the conversion will need to be built to building regs also.

Also are there any other things that I have overlooked?

I will put a few pictures up later to help visualise what I intend to do.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A granny annexe is supposed to maintain a relationship with the main house, not be a living accommodation in its own right.. To that end it should get its toilet or cooking facilities from the main house. Your project actually seems to be describing a separate dwelling that borrows utilities. I can't see it flying to be honest, it would need planning and then all sorts of other things come into play such as private amenity space, parking, overlooking etc

Planning consultants are to planning departments what solicitors are to courts. If you understand the game and how to play it, represent yourself

I've no idea how big your back garden is so I can't comment on whether splitting it in half would allow you to build another house in it with acceptable private space for both, and sufficient distance to guarantee adequate privacy for the residents of each

Sure, you'll need to construct things to BR

I would rate your chances of getting such a proposal approved at approximately 1%. On a good day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back