Grass yellow and dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody steer me in the right direction I laid turf in may and it has been beautiful until noticeably the last 2 cuts.

The ground is heavy clay but was forked and rotavated then left for a year after moving in then 3 ton of topsoil was put down raked and walked in before turf laid.

The grass seems to grow quickly am having to mow every week or 2 but as mentioned the last 2 cuts the grass seems dry and yellow.

I havent watered to much as in the last couple of weeks weve had a lot of rain but did put some miracle grow lawn food to try and get some colour into the grass again which I did last week

Anything I can do to make it look healthy again?

Attachments

• 20160622_073739.jpg
    20160622_073739.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
This is what it looked like after first couple of cuts and was mowed at highest setting

Attachments

• 20160430_115241.jpg
    20160430_115241.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 204
New turf always looks great for a while. It's been well fed before you get it and it appreciates being laid on fresh soil. Generally grows like blazes.

But it takes a while to get its roots well down so its prone to frizzling up a little in warm dry spells, and it starts to run out of the nutrients in the top layer of soil so it tends to yellow a bit. At the same time it's having to make up for the growth you're cutting off so the net result is that it generally gets a bit tired. The solution is watering in dry spells, general feeding (but not over-feeding) and patience. Much of the cheaper lawn fertiliser is very high in nitrogen and little else - this makes things worse as it encourages heavy growth which the roots can't support. Use general fertiliser for the first year or so or one where the P and K in the NPK label are higher than the N.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back