Gravity circulation how powerful

Interesting Norcon , must admit I have never cared for solid fuel ! However ??

As I understand it ?? a Honeywell TS130 is a temp relief valve ?? so if the temp say in a solid fuel circuit got to the preset temp of the TS130 , what ever that is say 90 ish (degsC) this valve will open to a heat dump ?? which could be what ever ?? as the temp drops the valve would close ? as I understand it these valves are thermal mechanical eg non electric ???

Sponsored Links
Quite right, there is far too much rudeness and too many-clever dick replies to valid points on this site.

If a gravity system is well laid out, there can be some short lengths of pipe going apparently in the wrong direction. The receiving vessel needs to be higher than the source, and, as long as it starts in the correct direction, it can work.

Quite right, there is far too much rudeness and too many-clever dick replies to valid points on this site.

If a gravity system is well laid out, there can be some short lengths of pipe going apparently in the wrong direction. The receiving vessel needs to be higher than the source, and, as long as it starts in the correct direction, it can work.

would this be thermal centres ?? eg as a rule of thumb the thermal centre of a boiler should be a minimumn of 3 feet below the thermal centre of the cylinder ( centre of coil connections ) for gravity circulation to work satisfactory ?? However bit before my time but I used to work with a fella long since passed away who used to install gravity primary circuits were the thermal centres were virtually non existent , particuly in bungalows he refered to it as inducing a syphon action ???? the return to the cylinder would step up from under the floor into the return this step up distance was critical ??

On another point I have seen drops to rads work on gravity be it they were not designed to do so ! Also can we not be a little more civil to some O.P's fella asked a question in a decent way , educate, help we all need it at times !!

On another note -eventually boil).

And here is a major problem the manufactures do not make a suitable radiator for gravity anymore so we fit a normal radiator expecting it to work properly.
After lots of problems my firmhave now totally given up installing solid fuel boilers.
I don`t blame them ;) All a rad needs is 3/4 inch tappings instead of half inch - and not back tappings either : As to parasitic circulation - I`ve seen a whole large house gravitating round the heating circuit :eek: . It amazed @ least 3 of us plumbers . Looked like it had no chance , but it was definitely circulating to a point , warmish rads :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I wasn't being rude, just stating the obvious.

You were rude and sarcastic, and you continue to be rude. Even after I pointed out that the Hetas training and qualification are for dry, non-plumbed systems you cannot bring yourself to acknowledge your error or apologise.

sounding a little on the dangerous side to be let loose on the public just yet. keep your head in the books and get some new colleagues.

Somebody else with nothing constructive to say - who appears to take delight in being rude.

If you knew me you would know that I am utterly safety concious - that is why I invested a lot of time in my Hetas qualification. I have fitted an assortment of stoves through Building Control and each passed first time. I have been inspected by Hetas and passed (failure rate in general 33-50%). I have had my head in the books - I have read Doc J cover to cover and the Hetas manuals. I have my Water Regs. I have my Unvented Certificate. I have undertaken solar training and fit solar systems.

The questions I have asked are not actually as clear cut "basic" as a few rude people have suggested (not that it should matter at all). Convection, as some wise people on this forum have suggestion, can work in strange ways. I am fully aware of the science but, yes, due to inexperience in any strange ways situations, coupled with a view expressed by a colleague, wanted to ask others.

your obviously a prize student.
try not to be so fragile, grow a thicker skin and stop taking so much offence.
your obviously from a different background and not used to the p155 taking world of the construction industry where you will get found out pretty quickly if you show the slightest ammount of incompetance.
so to recap, i couldnt give a toss if you feel hurt, most lads have to find out the hard way with a good b011ocking from someone in the know, get used to it or do something else, maybe a social worker would be more up your alley.

Come on, lads, there's no need for rudeness or sarcasm.

A heatleak is there on a solid fuel system to dissipate the relatively uncontrolled heat if;

There is a power cut

The pump fails

It still gets too hot

Many of the requirements which apply to oil or gas boilers for energy saving, do not apply to solid fuel, and there are different regs for solid fuel.

I wasn't being rude, just stating the obvious.

You were rude and sarcastic, and you continue to be rude. Even after I pointed out that the Hetas training and qualification are for dry, non-plumbed systems you cannot bring yourself to acknowledge your error or apologise.

See first line above.
Why should i apologise for your lack of basic knowledge and understanding of gravity systems and your sensitive nature :confused:

In your OP you purported to be
I'm not a "householder in distress" but maybe somebody can assist. I have recently obtained my Hetas qualification
and as such, the reply was to a supposedly qualified operative.
No mention of having only done a solid fuel awareness course.
All the other stuff you have done is highly commendable but maybe you should go back for the third day of the course and learn some more. You may then realise how stupid your op was.

would this be thermal centres ?? eg as a rule of thumb the thermal centre of a boiler should be a minimumn of 3 feet below the thermal centre of the cylinder ( centre of coil connections ) for gravity circulation to work satisfactory ?? However bit before my time but I used to work with a fella long since passed away who used to install gravity primary circuits were the thermal centres were virtually non existent , particuly in bungalows he refered to it as inducing a syphon action ???? the return to the cylinder would step up from under the floor into the return this step up distance was critical ??

On another point I have seen drops to rads work on gravity be it they were not designed to do so ! Also can we not be a little more civil to some O.P's fella asked a question in a decent way , educate, help we all need it at times !!
Flippin `eck that takes me back - there is such a thing as High Level Return - too :idea: seem to remember the step ( which goes against, the norm ) is max one sixth of height taken centre of boiler to centre of cyl. coil. ;) . An to remember that, for me is an achievement :LOL:

!![/quote]Flippin `eck that takes me back - there is such a thing as High Level Return - too :idea: seem to remember the step ( which goes against, the norm ) is max one sixth of height taken centre of boiler to centre of cyl. coil. ;) . An to remember that, for me is an achievement :LOL:[/quote]

There you go than Nigel F , taken you back to the good old days , knew there was a measurement of some type for the step up :) I wonder how many on this forum could install a full gravity heating system ?? ( not that there is any point ) ! We actually do some maintenance in a 4 bedroom house (full heating ) that works entirely off of gravity served by a kingfisher boiler the last model they made , fella is a retired naval officer , will not have any punp fitted or the system altered :) not interested in this modern day rubbish he says !

Going back to the thermal centres ect , it used to make me laugh some times in the builders merchants when some used to bring the cylinder they had just bought back because it did not work :) :) what was happening was the old cylinders they were taking out had the coil conections at the top & bottom of the cylinder , were as the new ones had the top coil connection half way down there bye they were not maintaining or losing the thermal centre distance :) :D

sounding a little on the dangerous side to be let loose on the public just yet. keep your head in the books and get some new colleagues.

Somebody else with nothing constructive to say - who appears to take delight in being rude.

If you knew me you would know that I am utterly safety concious - that is why I invested a lot of time in my Hetas qualification. I have fitted an assortment of stoves through Building Control and each passed first time. I have been inspected by Hetas and passed (failure rate in general 33-50%). I have had my head in the books - I have read Doc J cover to cover and the Hetas manuals. I have my Water Regs. I have my Unvented Certificate. I have undertaken solar training and fit solar systems.

The questions I have asked are not actually as clear cut "basic" as a few rude people have suggested (not that it should matter at all). Convection, as some wise people on this forum have suggestion, can work in strange ways. I am fully aware of the science but, yes, due to inexperience in any strange ways situations, coupled with a view expressed by a colleague, wanted to ask others.

Goldspoon,

Anybody can join a trade body such as Hetas, NICEIC, GAs safe Oftec etc etc with little or no experience, just go to college, pays your fees, you'll never fail unless you're an absolute idiot and then join.

Colleges and trade bodies are no longer interested in proper training and experience they just want the money.

There used to be a time when gas training, oil training etc and registration came at the end of an apprenticeship with at least 4 years experience behind you, sadly nowadays people like you can attend colleges, pay fees and be let loose on unsuspecting public with no experience and little knowledge.

You talk about solid fuel, unvented and solar systems, my advice to you and take it should you wish is:

get yourself employed as a mature apprentice with a reputable firm for 2-3 years and learn properly before you seriously injure or kill someone.

What you are asking on this site is truely shocking and basic, both you and your pal are dangerous.

This could go on forever so this is my last post.

Asking a question cannot be shocking and dangerous. Not asking the questions is dangerous.

Plastic header tanks: Hetas confirm they are good and allowed as long as BS4213 (500 hour boil test). So Transam, Tamz, Agile all incorrect in their advice.

I have heard of gravity defying the odds so just wanted to check the situation. I make a mental note not to use a forum to ask such a question in the future.

Shocking and dangerous is going out there and fitting things improperly. I have not done this and never will - many do: I have seen a lot of dangerous and sad work out there that was completed years ago (so not course cowboys).

I have enjoyed participating in this forum but I do not feel it is a place I wish to hang about. So this is my last post.

I wish you all well.

Goldspoon";p="1690599 said:
This could go on forever so this is my last post.

Asking a question cannot be shocking and dangerous. Not asking the questions is dangerous.

Plastic header tanks: Hetas confirm they are good and allowed as long as BS4213 (500 hour boil test). So Transam, Tamz, Agile all incorrect in their advice.

Advice can be obtained from many sources , A British Standard is a form of advice , & is a recommendation only !! if you wish to use a plastic header tank than do so , along with a plastic over flow , ect , neither myself , Agile or tamz have given you incorrect or bad advice , in fact it is very good advice ! In fact Logic might dictate that all 3 of us are more safety aware than Hetas or the relevasnt B.S ! what happens if the tank boils for 501 hours ? I will continue to give the same advice irrespective of hetas or any one else for that matter :D

[quote="Goldspoon";p="1690599"]This could go on forever so this is my last post.

I have heard of gravity defying the odds so just wanted to check the situation. I make a mental note not to use a forum to ask such a question in the future.

Shocking and dangerous is going out there and fitting things improperly. I have not done this and never will - many do: I have seen a lot of dangerous and sad work out there that was completed years ago (so not course cowboys).

I have enjoyed participating in this forum but I do not feel it is a place I wish to hang about. So this is my last post.

I wish you all well.[/quote]

Another ex butcher, baker and candle stick maker who's undertaking a short course and believes they know it all.

You ARE going to find out the hard way my friend, I guarantee that!

If anybody has a problem it is you and many like you, that are so arrogant to believe that you can install such systems competently and dismiss advice from someone infinitely more experienced and trained properly.

The fact you have to ask on a DIY forum....speaks for itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back