Gravity fed WM from a Rainwater Harvesting System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I fix gas boilers in the evening but during the day i design Rainwater harvesting systems.

My query is about running a washing machine from a header tank. Check through some threads and the general thinking is it is okay.

Was more so wondering about doing this in a Bungalow?

have done a little research so far and some manu quote that they need 0.5 bar to run and others 1 bar.

I think and correct me if im wrong that this has something to do with a check valve needing a certain pressure to close?

Im concerned that in a bungalow there wont be enough head of pressure to close this valve and hence it will keep flowing through and flood the house?

Any of you guys any experience with this?

Also have you experienced any problems with the quality of water coming from a Rainwater harvesting system?

Thanks in advance

Sean

Sponsored Links
There is no check valve in that sense of the word. But I would be inclined to believe you could experience fill time-out issues if the water pressure was very low. Most manufacturers recommend min 1bar. Couldn't you just fit a booster pump? No experience of rain harvesting systems as such , but I have gotten wet on occasions when I forgot my umbrella.

Thanks for your reply.

Its all down to cost as usual and adding in a pump wouldnt make our unit cost effective. Says i not knowing how much a pump would be?

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back