Green star system boiler not heating water to temp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system boiler has started to not heat the water up correctly

My wife first noticed it when running a bath that there wasn't enough HW, also mentioned about the heating.
I work away from home and this is me just back.
The heating was on last night, but to me it feels as it it only putting out about 50% performance, as the rad with the lock shield valves should have been roasting, it it was just hotter the warm
The temp dial is sitting about 5
Pressure is about 1.3bar

Sponsored Links
Your rads should never be roasting with a modern condensing boiler - that's a very inefficient way of running it which will effectively be preventing it from condensing most of the time, thus costing you a lot of money in excess gas usage. Turn it down to 3.

As for your specific problem, what does the boiler temperature display say when you fire it up? Does the temperature rise rapidly on the boiler despite getting reduced temperature to the radiators, or is the boiler also heating up slowly?

Theres no temp display on my boiler

Just going by the room temp and rad temp they should be a lot hotter.

We have a cat so we leave a lot of doors open throughout the house so he can come and go, if the boiler was set at 3, we'd be as well not having it on.

I'll check what you've asked for today about the rate of heating

Ah, sorry, in that case you'll probably need to call someone in to investigate the temperatures inside the boiler, as well as testing the gas pressures to ensure there's nothing wrong there. I'm guessing you might have a model with a cylindrical heat exchanger, in which case there's a possibility it's collapsed and is restricting the flow - a surprisingly common issue on these which usually results in needing a new boiler although a powerflush might provide a temporary cure

Sponsored Links
What's the model?, can reset the pcb on some of these which often sorts these types of issues

It's a worcester bosch greenstar 24i system boiler

History of the boiler
Serviced every year
Expansion vessel replaced
Some push/twist on vent thing inside replaced
Not had it 10 years but it's heading that way.

Got a service plan with SSE

ok, thought i'd update this post.

i bled the radiators, only the usual culprit really had any air, the bathroom, wasn't too much.
switched the boiler off & back on again
pressed the reset button
turned it down to just under 4
it reset and i turned it back up to near 5 and it's back working again to what it was.

thanks for the advice :)

well, another update.

it's happened again, twice in the past few days, restarting & resetting the boiler hasn't helped so i'm getting a call out through my boiler cover on Wednesday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back