Grey polypipe - how to close-off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom renovation, I am going to replace the electric shower with one straight off the combi. Right now the shower is fed by a t-piece that is on the cold supply. Both the pipe and the t-piece are grey plastic 15mm without any branding etc that I can see, and maybe about 10 years old.

I want to put a blank onto the leg feeding the shower, but what do I need in terms of pipe inserts/stiffeners? Is there a universal type that will work regardless of the specific type of pipe? And any type of plastic fitting will also be suitable?

Sponsored Links
For piece of mind, use the correct insert but you could consider a push fit stop end, or even a brass compression one - again with the correct steel insert.
If you have no idea what brand it is, the insert needs to be a good snug fit, that you can push in by hand......if you force it in, the pipe may swell a fraction and obviously if the insert is loose, it can't be all that effective.
John :)

I guess the question is how do I identify if it is polypipe or not? :confused:

There will no doubt be an insert where the existing pipe connects to the electric shower, but I don't know if these are reusable so would like to buy the correct item prior to disconnecting anything.

That's the million dollar question, regarding the identification.
It's best not to reuse inserts but of course it really depends on how much it might have been squashed - or not.
I don't do much of this sort of stuff now, but I have a dozen or so of every insert I've come across just to get me out of a corner.....never failed yet!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The insert will be reusable and I would use a compression stop end. You could post a picture of the plastic fittings and someone may recognise them. Although it doesn't guarantee the pipe is the same make.

If its plain grey with no metal band I'd say its either Polypipe or Hep20. Post a pic and it should be identifiable.

If you use a compression stop end remember to use an insert, copper olives tend to work better than brass ones and don't use any jointing paste.
A bit of PTFE tape is ok if needed.

OK, had a closer look and its a HEP20 joint. Can I use a blank to close off one side of this T-piece, or leave a tail and a stop-end? Does this make any difference to the stiffeners used??

You could use an elbow with the existing nuts if you get the same type or fit a stop end with the correct insert. There should be one at the end of the pipe you are disconnecting which you can reuse.

OK, had a closer look and its a HEP20 joint. Can I use a blank to close off one side of this T-piece, or leave a tail and a stop-end? Does this make any difference to the stiffeners used??

Thats hep 2o pipe before they changed to white.

Hep20 used to do a Blanking Plug for that fitting, depending on whether it's a White or Green wedge type

I may even have one in my shed, I will have a look when I get chance

Hope that electric box behind it aint live, that's an accident waiting to happen that is :)

Must say it also looks very like polypipe fittings, ripped out a whole hot supply recently done in that stuff. If it has stainless steel toothed lock ring with a rubber seal and white plastic spreading shim then it's PolyP. They do have push fit stop ends for them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back