Ground Floor Flat Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the owner of a Victorian Ground Floor Flat with high ceilings. It's lovely.

Until it gets cold.

I have triple-skinned walls, so no cavity wall insulation and a suspended wood floor around 5 feet above the ground below.

I think I'm losing a lot of the heat my central heating pumps out through the ceiling into the first and second floor flats. So I'd like to insulate between the two.

Ideally, it would be best to pull up the boards on the floor above, and insulate between the joists, but it is a large space, and the upstairs flat is not mine, so it would mean considerable upheaval for my neighbour, not to mention the fact that my central heating wouldn't heat her flat anymore.

So I'm considering attaching batons to the joists across my current ceiling, creating a 'floating' plasterboard ceiling a few inches below it, and insulating between the existing ceiling and the floating ceiling.

The ceiling height is over 10 feet at the moment so that's not a problem, but I'm concerned about whether a floating ceiling like that would need ventilation, and whether the existing joists will be strained by the extra weight.

I can't find anyone who's done this before on the internet. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
I know this post is from June, but you could fit a ceiling fan so that the hot air is pushed down again. The ceiling/light fans have a summer and winter setting.

What I done this year to my house was to remove all downstairs ceiling and insulate between the joints and re-board with 2 layers of plasterboard. I can't hear the kids upstairs and it's very warm now!

As to battening and insulating the ceiling, no ventilation is needed.

Andy

Insulating between the ground floor joists will help too. Not as much as insulating the ceiling, but if you can prevent the cold air from below cooling your flat you will notice a considerable difference.

Might be difficult depending on current floor finishes though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back