growing basil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all :) can anyone give me any advice about growing basil.I bought a pot of basil and was wondering if it would be possible to grow this in a container,any advice would be appreciated :) this is a great and helpful site and my husband and i enjoy reading the forums they very informative,friendly and interesting ty nanny :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah, containers are good. It's a sun worshipper, so if growing indoors, put it by a big window. Water from the base cos they don't like having wet leaves.

Thank you for your advice,I will try keeping it in the greenhouse and see how it comes on,I have now bought a pot of parsely and trying this the same way. will let you know the outcome in due course.Happy Gardening to all regards Nanny :D :D

Sponsored Links
I know this is a bit late for this year but may be helpful for the future.
Basil comes from a well drained soil in a hot climate where is doesnt rain in the summer so should have the same conditions here.
I have wall pots either side of the kitchen door in full sun with my mediterranian type herbs.
They grow under deep eves so get no direct rain so have to be watered by hand to the compost.
No need to go out for the herbs.
Just reach either side of the door. :D
With the warmth of the house and the eves covering I get plants growing long after the frosts have started.
I've even picked perpetual fruiting strawberries a few days before Christmas and had lobelia still flowering in January.
Both in wall baskets.

I've grown basil very successfully from store bought pots.

Often had 30 or 40 good plants from one single pot for under £2 without the risk of poor germination from seed. Even the little ones tend to take off given enough room.

Repot into containers about four inches apart, troughs are great as they can sit happily on a window sill.

However avoid letting it flower, pinch off the flower heads as they develop.

If you'd like to try sowing some seed next spring, leave one or two to flower, collect the matured seed and this should germinate well on a window sill.
lou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back