Growing Potatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to grow some potaoes from seeded potatoes, either in a sack or great big pots, not too sure which yet.
Can someone tell me the average amount of seeded potaoes I would need to do this, and give me an idea what the average yield would be from one seeded potato.

This is my very first time, so what would be the best type or name for the potato, as I would like them to come out along the lines of the jersey royal potatoes.
Many thanks
:D

Sponsored Links
a bag of seeded potatoes will be more than enough to yield a good sackful. Have a look on a few websites for the varieties, theres plenty to choose from.
Its a good idea to chit them first (leave them out in a seed tray or egg boxes in the light to encourage them to sprout.) The closer you plant them together the smaller the potatoes will be.

it also depends when you want them, as there are first earlies, second earlies and main crop which crop in the order above, obviously new potatoes coming in the first or second earlies.

Thankyou thermo for your advice :D have another question.
do I have to start from seed, or can I use potatoes that have been left and sprouted.? :D

no you need to do it from seed potatoes. You can pick up bags of them from b&q and homebase for about £3-£4. To be honest they are as good as any other and cheaper. Its to late to do it from actual seed.

(in case of any confusion seed potatoes are actually small potatoes that are developed especially to produce more.)

Sponsored Links
I think this question is interesting. I remember the time when every household grew their own potatoes, and people of my age new exactly how to grow potatoes. Sadly most gardens now seem to concentrate on lawns, flower borders etc, and the art of home vegetable growing is dying.

I hope your efforts are successful, and you enjoy the crop.

sandwell said:
I think this question is interesting. I remember the time when every household grew their own potatoes, and people of my age new exactly how to grow potatoes. Sadly most gardens now seem to concentrate on lawns, flower borders etc, and the art of home vegetable growing is dying.

I hope your efforts are successful, and you enjoy the crop.

I have dug up a large area of lawn for veg planting. Spuds went in on Good Friday (1st & 2nd earlies). Maincrop will be grown at my dad's. Other veg seeds planted and in the greenhouse at the moment.

dg 123
I admire your enterprise, and hope you have a great crop, you should have no problems with frosts now, slugs are the biggest problem now in my opinion.
What we grow as individuals may seem quite small, but if every gardener still grew their own vegetables, I am sure it would make a huge difference to our import trade. We could considerably reduce our imports of potatoes from Egypt for example.

i quite agree, it doesnt take that much room in your garden to grow some crops that can provide for the family, and boy do they taste good. Ive got three allotments and it virtually supplies us and my relatives all year round!

Dig for victory!! :LOL:

spice said:
do I have to start from seed, or can I use potatoes that have been left and sprouted.? :D

Potatoes have 'eyes' usually distributed around their entire surface although more at some ends than elsewhere.
Almost all potatoes ('seed' pots or kitchen) that have started sprouting may be used. Even peelings. So long as they have an intact eye they may sprout.
These can go onto produce a crop, just depends on conditions.
I would say that for fun it is great to grow from peelings or whatever have gone a bit passed it in the veg box. However for a serious crop it may be better to buy seed, grown and developed specifically for production. Like they say, they don't cost a lot.

Thanks for the wishes all, I will try to remember to post the success rate when the season has moved on.

Thermo - three allotments! Something to apsire to, I will see how I cope with my small plot first.

Many thanks again, you all have been so helpful. :D

Still havent got the spuds yet, as everywhere I have gone they have been sold out, I didnt realise that the planting was feb time :rolleyes: , but if I want too, I could buy some seed spuds from the internet, but some people have said it may be too late now for me to start.

But I have read up on some info, that the spuds take approx 15 weeks to get a crop, so surely I can start anytime to plant them :confused:

As you can see I havent a flippen clue, but I do try. :D

still not to late to get them in, but youll need to go for a main crop and get a move on!

I would say use left over ones that have started sprouting unless you specifically want a rare type.
Paying for a bag of potatoes, garlic, onions etc to grow when you can just stick one you've got in a pot of composts is a waste of money.

This year I stuck some unused cloves of garlic in a pot and they're growing lovely.

Only trouble with peelings etc is they can be unrelaible and more prone to disease, whereas seeds are developed and grown specifically to give the better yield, and be more resistant to disease.

Great news, at long last I have managed to buy seed potatoes this morning, :D but here comes the thicko question again lol, what way do I plant them?
They have long green shoot stem things coming out of them, do they face away or down into the earth.
And going to plant them in a rubble sack type of thing, so how many can I get away with planting in the one sack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back