Grundfos pump suddenly very noisy?

scaby said:
probably because the water level has dropped below the pump and there is no circulation of water

This would make sense because when I unscrewed the bleed screw on the Grundfos nothing came out.

I did check the 'header tank' in the attic, as recommened, and that had plenty of water in it. Does that fit in with the theory?

If water level is the problem, how do I add more water?

Thanks to all for the help so far!

Sponsored Links
there is a probably a blockage between the tank in the loft and your pump , the trick now is to try and shift it, did you find the tee where the feed joins ?

scaby said:
there is a probably a blockage between the tank in the loft and your pump , the trick now is to try and shift it, did you find the tee where the feed joins ?

Hi scaby,

I'll have a look for it tonight. Should I be looking in the area of the airing cupboard below?

Sorry but I don't what the 'f and e' is you mentioned before!

Does this sound more like a lack of water in the system, rather than a dodgy thermostat, would you say?

the f and e is the small tank in the loft that feeds the central heating, if you follow the pipe up from the pump , another pipe should join , this pipe being feed from the tank in the loft, (bit of guess work here, as i cant see the layout) where the two pipes join is normally where it blocks .

Sponsored Links
As a last resort before calling BG, I tried changing the pump setting to number 3. Funnily enough this seemed to stop the overheat switch tripping. I still got the odd noise and gurgling but not as bad as before.

I've now changed it back down to level 2 again and it seems to be okay temporarily at least. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I've been tinkering with pump and boiler settings ever since my first post but the problem has never gone away, and seems to be getting worse. The noise now isn't really focussed on the pump, but in the pipes near the pump.

What happens now is that if I switch on the Hot Water only, I get gurgling pipes, banging and the boiler overheat switch trips after a few minutes (and the boiler front feels very hot to the touch).

However, if I switch on the Central Heating first, for maybe 10 minutes, and THEN start the Hot Water, there is less noise. It's as if having the CH on is giving the system a boost or something, and helping the HW system.

I'm guessing the flow of water is the culprit here somehow but does it sound more like a malfunctioning pump or a cold water inlet blockage?

British Gas Man is coming next week to check it out, and it would be good to be armed with a few suggestions!

TIA

I've been tinkering with pump and boiler settings ever since my first post but the problem has never gone away, and seems to be getting worse. The noise now isn't really focussed on the pump, but in the pipes near the pump.

What happens now is that if I switch on the Hot Water only, I get gurgling pipes, banging and the boiler overheat switch trips after a few minutes (and the boiler front feels very hot to the touch).

However, if I switch on the Central Heating first, for maybe 10 minutes, and THEN start the Hot Water, there is less noise. It's as if having the CH on is giving the system a boost or something, and helping the HW system.

I'm guessing the flow of water is the culprit here somehow but does it sound more like a malfunctioning pump or a cold water inlet blockage?

British Gas Man is coming next week to check it out, and it would be good to be armed with a few suggestions!

TIA

Hi Londoner, I am having the exact same problem. What was the solution from the British Gas guy in the end, if you can remember! Many thanks

It was a while ago but in the end it seemed to be the thermostat failing, causing the boiler to overheat. The pump itself wasn't the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back