grundfos selectric 15/50 pump noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried everything but though i would ask the forum for help!

Last night i tried bleeding the radiators but did not turn off the pump or CH beforehand. I now realise my mistake!!

This afternoon i noticed the pump was making a wooshing sound as though air was rushing through the pipes with the water. I have tried turning the pump off and have drained all the air from the sytem using the bleeding valves on the radiators and the pump itself. There is no air in the system - only water that is clear now comes out.

The wormglow boiler will now not start even through there is pressure in the sytem as the expansion tank beside the pump says 1 bar. I can not heat the CH or HW.

The pump is still making a whining noise and it does not matter what setting i put it on - 1,2, or 3. The pump gets hotter than the pipes when i turn it on but i have checked the motor is turning by taking out the bleed screw and turned the motor with a screwdriver.

Is the pumb knackered or is there air still trapped in the system?

Can someone please help as it is freezing!!!

Sponsored Links
You could have an air lock in your Glow Worm boiler. Is the AAV cap loose?

Is this a combi or system boiler?

The auto air vent cap is on top of the auto air vent, which is usually on the top of the pump casing.

The black cap should be loose.

Have you tried flicking the boiler on an off several times to try to shift a possible air lock?

Have you any air bleed points anywhere else that you have forgot to bleed?

Sponsored Links
There does not seem to be any Auto air vent on top of the pump. It only as the electrical casing and then the pipes leading off. I have tried flicking the boiler on and off. It goes on for about a minute then turns itself off.

There does not seem to be any other bleed points around the pipework that i can see. Is there a bleed point aroud the boiler that i should see?

there is no fault code. The boiler does not seem to be reading a fault code. Is there a way i can check this?

The pump noise and heat shows that it is running dry espeially as you say the pipes either side are not hot.
Have you got boiler instructions?.
Is this an old balanced flue boiler (big square box outside)?.
Have you a picture?.

the brown button is actually the overheat cutoff button. I do not think it is an old balanced flue sytem - cant see a box anywhere and i cant locate the instructions. I think the main problem is the pump. I think the pump has been running dry as there is an airlock somewhere. I have bleed all the valves i can find but it is still making the noise.

The problem of the boiler seems to be a result of the pump and the suposed airlock problem. I think the pump may be knackered as it has been running with air in the system?

I know the button is the overheat button, but it would need reseting if you where firing the boiler with no circulation that's why i called it the reset button sorry for any confusion.
The box i was refering to is the flue outside.
I take that the boiler lights up then, if you keep running the pump dry you will need a new one. show picture of expansion vessel you say is along side the pump if you can.

i have just tried to turn the boiler on this morning. It went on for about 2 minutes then shut off. The pump is still making a noise so have shut it off again.

There was a bubbling noise from the boiler after it shut off.

Here is a picture of the pump and the expansion tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back