GU10 downlight fittings with a too-small 'void depth'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit some GU10-style downlights - I have done 4 successfully (or rather my electrician has). The fittings are JCC "JC2009" fittings, which take GU10s, 50W, mains (no transformer). The holes in the ceiling are 85mm diameter.

The problem is that the required void depth is 135mm, and in the remaining two holes, I have a wooden joist only about 60mm above, so these fittings aren't even close to, erm, fitting. My electrician tried to find a suitable alternative, but has drawn a blank.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? The 85mm holes are already cut with the joist 60mm above. Obviously I could "build out" below the hole, but I don't really want these "recessed" fittings sticking out. I'd like to avoid the whole transformer and low-voltage solution if possible.

Are there any "low profile" (and/or low-wattage) fittings that could work?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of any suitable fitting, mostly because even if you can't find one with a low void depth, the wood is a flammable material and is simply too close to the heat source for my liking. That is, unless you're using CFL, LED or other low-heat lamps in the fittings, but even then there's still the possibility someone might fit a halogen in the future.

Is it not possible to plaster over the holes you've made and locate the lights elsewhere?

The ceiling itself is MDF (it's a pre-fabricated garden office thing, with two of the holes unfortunately cut in the wrong place). So somehow filling the existing holes and moving to the side a few inches may be my only option. I think I'll have to pass this one back to the people who supplied the building.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Sponsored Links
The fittings you have, they are F marked, aren't they?

The fittings you have, they are F marked, aren't they?

I didn't know what that meant, but have just read up on it - yes, the fittings originally provided, and the replacement ones I bought yesterday to fill the two gaps, are all F-marked. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

I solved the problem by going for some non-recessed single-spots lights that take GU10s and exactly fit the holes. Obviously they won't "match", but they actually look quite good. The electrician is on his way round.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back