Guarantee, Fensa certificate, energy specs for conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Slightly outside the remit of this forum section but as near as I could find - hopefully someone can advise.

I recently purchased the UPVC, glass, doors, roof, etc for a conservatory from a company on a supply only basis. Intended to get this fitted myself but eventually used one of this companies fitters, employed through the company but paid independently as requested, to erect. As far as I am aware the company manufactured everything supplied except for the roof glass.

The conservatory has been fully paid for and I was verbally assured by the company owner that the important parts would have a 10 year guarantee. Some months have passed and no receipt, guarantee or energy specs.

Can someone advise me what paperwork I should have received from the supplier company. Important for my peace of mind as 4 metre deep roof and because I guess documents will be required by solicitors when I sell the house?

Sponsored Links
This depends if the old external door between the conservatory and house has been removed. If it has you need full building regulations. If not you only need to ensure glazing regulations have been complied with. That is normally covered by glass being toughened which should be visibly marked on the glass itself, so no certificates as such are required.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.
Doors are in place between main house and conservatory. All door glass and lower wall glass toughened on both sides, so it appears that the glazing regs have been properly adhered to.

Does this mean that if I sell the house, the purchaser's solicitor would not require any paperwork from me?

The only other thing that might get picked up is if you extend your main central heating system into the conservatory. Technically speaking this also brings it within building regulations. You can have heating - just not from the main system. Otherwise it does not need building regs and presumably you've allready satisfied that it doesn't need planning permission. So there are no certificates as such and no energy calculations required. If you have extended the heating in you could simply remove the radiator if it ever got picked up and caused an issue. Of course if there are any guarantees or documents, drawings, details etc. available from the company then get hold of anything you can. Buyers are always reassured by that sort of stuff even if it doesn't really mean a lot.

Sponsored Links
The conservatory will not be part of the house. Separating doors will always be there and no heating will be fitted. I am very pleased to know that should I sell the house the purchaser's solicitors will not ask for a fensa certificate, guarantee or anything else - this was the most concerning issue as I will be looking to move in the near future. The two sets of French doors that separate the house from the conservatory were also supplied by this company - do I need a fensa certificate for these?

Can anyone tell me what paperwork would normally be supplied with regards to guarantee on a conservatory, supply only.

I called the company that manufactured the roof glass. They give a 10 year guarantee on their double glazed units but it has to be supplied to their customer. Their customer in this case was the company who bought direct off them and supplied to me.

No Fensa certificate for a conservatory as they are building regs exempt (assuming its within the size limits). I would be asking for a guarantee in writing though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back