Guess what I did today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was chopping a socket out today.

socket-1.jpg

Whilst at this house, I also knocked the coughtree fitting on the corner of the house with a length of conduit. The glass promptly fell off onto the concrete driveway.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Not to worry, I drilled through a gas pipe today fitting an alarm :( I was trying to drill from the landing into the understairs cupboard, but did'nt realise there was an old ceiling below what I thought was the actual ceiling. 10mm bit straight through the middle of the pipe.

Only £35 for the plumber though! Was well chuffed, thought it was gonna be £100.

Sponsored Links
What did you make the 'hole' with Rob?? Stanley knife and a boot!!!!

Is it beautiful stud partition? Or lovely cinder block? Can't stand cinder block as all i have to do is look at it and the hole is right through to the next room.

give them a extra socket in the other bedroom
( back to back ) tell them there will be no extra
charge. well customers are always saying .
oh while your hear can i have XYZ

Looks like lath and plaster, did you use a hammer and bolster to chop it out? Bet it won't be the last time it happens. I managed to nearly force a whole brick out of a wall whilst drilling a hole for some mini trunking. The brick was so loose i drilled in 50mm and the brick stuck out the other side by 10mm! Patched the wall up and knocked some money off for the paint job so customer was happy by the time i left.

Yes same thing happened to me the other week, thought things were going really nicely until i looked in the other room BULGE!!!!!!

Well for what it's worth my little problem on Sunday (yes I was working aswel), drilling a 25mm hole through wall (inside to outside) to run galv conduit through & the brick blewout.
It was so far gone the conduit box wouldn't cover the damage :eek: .

Got over it by collecting all the large bits I could find, using cutter I nibbled the edges off the bits to fit round the tube, used gripfill to hold bits in place & fitted conduit box with a saddle closer than normal to the box to hold it all in.

Then I dropped the floodlight off the steps & smashed the full teacup the customer had just bought out to me :oops:

Yep that has happened to me as well, I now start with a small bit (10mm) then bang the big bit through. If I can I go outside to in very very carefully!!

I pulled out an old recessed fusebord in a nursing home only to find myself looking straight into the bedroom on the other side of the wall. The db was the same thickness as the wall and the back of it had been skimmed!
A bit plasterboard and wallpaper put it right but I wish I had got a pic of the damage.

The wall was made of some strange material I have never come across before.

It was the size of a normal house brick, but it was made of something that looked like chalk or plaster of paris maybe. It also contained straw and horse hair. Weird stuff.

The first partition I went at was built from blue bricks, so I got to this wall and went at it with my sash knife and lump hammer.

Fortunatly the house has just been bought and is being decorated from top to bottom, so I got away with this one. Oh and It's my brothers house getting rewired on the cheap, so he daredn't say anything about my little accidents :LOL:

Comms, loving your shot with the floodlight. What are the chances of it landing just where the tea is :LOL:

I pulled out an old recessed fusebord in a nursing home only to find myself looking straight into the bedroom on the other side of the wall.
A bit plasterboard and wallpaper put it right but I wish I had got a pic of the damage.

taking photo's of bedrooms through holes you've knocked in the wall is liable to get you into trouble.. especially old ladies rooms.... :)

Know exactly the type of wall you are on about Rob. My parents bathroom walls are made exactly the same way. The straw really stunned us!!! Apparently common in house building around the turn of the century until mid 20's.

Why do they insist on building walls with blue bricks in yorkshire!!!

Every house i've had to do any chopping out in has had them, my chisel now as a 3 degree bend in it!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back