gutter guard - is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking of fitting these mesh inserts to my gutters. Anyone done this and got a comment on whether they're worth having?

Sponsored Links
corystes said:
thinking of fitting these mesh inserts to my gutters. Anyone done this and got a comment on whether they're worth having?

Have you a lot of trees nearby ? My old house the answer was yes definitely. This house, no, not worth it.

I'm guessing the only problem I can see is that the leaves stay on the mesh and not let the rain into the gutter maybe ? The best one I've seen is you can buy a dapter kit on the drainpipe from ground level to pick up the leaves while the rainwater still draining out.

I've got loads of trees around my house and the amount of crap that gathers in the gutters is unbelievable. It doesn't wash down and just builds up until the gutters overflow! I would certainly recommend the mesh if you have lots of trees!

Sponsored Links
special stuff is a bit expensive, try netlon mesh bought off the roll, cut into a width that will roll to the same size as your gutter, fix with small cable ties and you can do the same job for much less.

you could try a small bit of different sized mesh to find the right one for your debris. In our casewe have pine needles and they require a fine mesh. Broad leaves may only need a larger mesh.

Beware of leaving it sticking out over the gutter as the wind can catch it and take it out.

You'll still need to clean once a year, but it does save blocked gutters and drains.

Be nice to have mesh hinged at front edge, could tip away from house to clear the leaves without a ladder, using long pole, like the old window openers from an age ago.

Xmas toy .. minture JCB dropped into gutter from bedroom window, radio controlled with shaped bucket, clean out from a deck chair on lawn !! --- I wish !!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back