Gutter overflow trough in attic.

I can't see the overflow from your pictures, I would be interested to see some pictures of the down pipe.

Sponsored Links
I can't see the overflow from your pictures, I would be interested to see some pictures of the down pipe.

Couldn't get exterior pics today.

The overflow feeds directly into the trough. It is not visible on the exterior. Can only be seen inside. It is a piece of pipe whose end has been broken off.

I've never seen a set up quite like this and can't offer any useful advice, however it is most interesting and thank you for sharing.

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a set up quite like this and can't offer any useful advice, however it is most interesting and thank you for sharing.

I too found it quite intriguing and it seemed to me to be a complicated solition to an everyday problem! :confused:

The next pic shows the original in the centre and to eavh side are subsequent modifications. One involves cutting into the stone gutter to insert a hopper whie the other just places a hopper onto the existing drainpipe.

Well I am still not convinced that they ever originally had down pipes at the front of the properties.

Well I am still not convinced that they ever originally had down pipes at the front of the properties.

Obviously you must believe what you want but from my local knowledge I know you are wrong.

The on-site evidence also speaks for itself. There is no way in the world that the interior trough had the capacity to deal with the main rainfall. It is far too narrow and shallow and the fall is not steep enough to ensure a fast enough flow.

It is clear from the interior that the trough, its feed pipe, and the exterior outet were all installed at the same time.

In addition, how do you explain why all the houses (before rhey were modified) had the same design of a pipe leading from the stone gutter to the front wall? This is clearly contemporary with the original build. The builders had to terminate that exterior pipe somewhere so if it was not in a hopper where else would it go but a drainpipe?

The castiron drainpipes are also clearly consistent with the period.

So whether you are convinced or not, the arrangement which you see is definitely that which was installed at the time of the original build.

In summary, the rain was collected in a stone gutter and exited via a pipe let into the base of that gutter. That pipe descended vertically from the gutter then fed through the exterior front wall and directly into the drainpipe. If the water backed-up in the drainpipe for any reason then part of the flow would be diverted along and down another pipe which fed into the interior trough which runs along the floor of the loft. The water would flow along the trough and exit through a hole in the rear wall. ;)

Those houses could have been modified 120yrs ago when the original guttering system was possibly found wanting, and they may have been done at the same time especially if they were all owned by the same person.

Those houses could have been modified 120yrs ago when the original guttering system was possibly found wanting, and they may have been done at the same time especially if they were all owned by the same person.

They weren't all owned by the same person. They were owned indivdually.

Secondly, your view is not consistent with the physical on-site evidence and local knowledge. There is only one hole in the gutter and that leads outside.

Let's just agree to leave it were it is. I am not interested in arguing about speculative theories. :rolleyes:

I am not arguing I am just trying to work out why they would do such a strange set up as the one you have, and please add few more pictures when you investigate further.

I am not arguing I am just trying to work out why they would do such a strange set up as the one you have, and please add few more pictures when you investigate further.

I have edited a previous pic to demonstrate my point.
- The pipe marked in red is the overflow pipe which discharges into the overflow trough.
- The pipe marked in yellow is the pipe which leads directly from the hole in the stone gutter to discharge into the front drainpipe.
- There is and only ever has been only one hole in the stone gutter.
-The yellow pipe descends vertically from that hole.
- Your theory is that there was no exit to discharge water to the front wall because the interior trough was designed to carry and discharge all the water at the back of the house.
- If your theory is correct then the pipe leading from the hole in the stone gutter (the yellow pipe) would line up with the trough. It clearly doesn't.
- It is the red pipe which lines up with the trough and this pipe is the overflow connected to the yellow pipe.

This clearly indicates a discharge of the main flow to the front of the house with an overflow leading to the back.

I can't work out how water gets into the trough now you have shown me that picture, I have seen you picture of the stone gutter from the outside and still I can't work it out?

I can't work out how water gets into the trough now you have shown me that picture, I have seen you picture of the stone gutter from the outside and still I can't work it out?

The yellow pipe is the main discharge - vertically down from the hole in the gutter.
The red overflow pipe intersects the yellow pipe underneath the gutter and then turns downwards to flow into the trough.
So imagine something in the form of a letter h.
The left hand vertical of the h is the yellow pipe and the red is the remainder.
[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back