Gutter overflow trough in attic.

Does the down pipe have a drain/soakaway or does it just discharge onto the pavement.

Sponsored Links
Does the down pipe have a drain/soakaway or does it just discharge onto the pavement.

There is a cast iron drain which connects to the drainpipe. This thus runs at right anges to the house and terminates at the end of the pavement to discharge into the gutter.

Do you think its blocked is that why you are having problems.

I think that is what caused the back-up but I had it jetted yesterday. What I need to do now is get the hopper installed so that if/when it backs-up again the overflow will take place at the hopper not inside.

Sponsored Links
I think I would fit a hopper if it was my property.

Thy will be done ;)

Hi Makfai.

Fascinating stuff. We're just back from visiting my nephew and his family in Margate, on the Kent coast. They've recently moved to a 3 storey turn-of-the-century Victorian terrace with this same system in the attic. I found the lead-lined trough, (underneath old scaffold boards... nephew didn't know it was there) and googled it when we got back to South London...
Same system.. Low stone/brick parapet at the front, with a tiny external wooden loft hatch access just above the beginning of the lead-lined channel running from front to back of the house. (possibly just big enough for a skinny person to get out for maintenance onto the narrow flat gulley behind the low parapet).
I've never seen this before, and was unsure as to it's purpose. My interest now, is satisfied. Thanks to your post.
Best wishes,

Found this very, very interesting.

I've never come across this system and hope I never do.

Like mentioned, an overly complicated solution that I still can't understand, there again I'm easily confused.

by loft hatch, I mean, of course, a small opening between the loft and the outside of the roof, covered with a removable (lifts out from the inside) wooden hatch cover, maybe not much more than 2'x18"

You need a Victorian mindset and it all makes sense- small access trap for a lad/chimneysweep. The warning water running down the wall @ the back where it won't mark the face brickwork on the front. I've seen the mess a WC overflow makes just dripping when the pipe slopes back to a wall. - So the front facade is kept clean and neat looking without a hopper- I'll bet the downpipe joins were putty'ed too so no spilling water there.;)

I have seen old terraces were there were no R.W.P at the front of the properties when they were constructed, and to drain the water to the back of the house they used a couple of lengths of 6x1" set to make a V shape and lined with a 12" piece of lead. The roof at the back of the house is lower than the front so the water chute comes out onto the back of the roof near the bottom and then the water goes into the rear gutter. Now of course all the properties have R.W.P at the front of their properties, and to walk down the street today you would think it has always been that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back