Hager JBs in portable applications.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes you want to join three or more flexible cables. (which are not permanently attached to a building). In my case I wanted to mount a couple of extension strips on a peice of furniture and join them together. The piece of furniture is for my own use.

I intend to join them together with a hager J804. I went for this box because it has cord grips, sufficent current rating and space for a fourth cable if I want to add a third strip later.

I also considered the downlight junction box but I was put off by the difficulty of finding information on it's current rating (I did find a claim that it was 16A burried in a hager document somewhere but they don't seem to make that information readilly available)

Can anyone see any potential problems with doing this? does anyone have any other suggested products for such applications?

Extending this can anyone see any reason not to use these JBs in "fully portable" applications? The box seems to be made of similar plastic to extension leads.

Sponsored Links
does anyone have any other suggested products for such applications?

I would just use a small plastic adaptable box and stuffing glands. If you went for the Wiska ones, they would have pre-threaded M20 entries for the glands and are slightly rubberised in nature, so they are a little resistant to knocks and bumps

Can anyone see any potential problems with doing this? ... Extending this can anyone see any reason not to use these JBs in "fully portable" applications?
Opinions may well vary, but I would personally say 'no' and 'no'.

Kind Regards, John

I would just use a small plastic adaptable box and stuffing glands. If you went for the Wiska ones, they would have pre-threaded M20 entries for the glands and are slightly rubberised in nature, so they are a little resistant to knocks and bumps
By the time one had bought a box, the glands and (if they didn't come with the box) some sort of connector(s), wouldn't it be simpler (and probably cheaper) to just get a J804, as proposed by plugwash?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
a J804 is going to be a darn sight cheaper than the adaptable box route - unless you happened to get one of the wiska giveaways :LOL: (which they are apparently still running - just moved house (y))

hager J501 are 16 amp it is embossed on the front, they are also smaller than the 20A 4 terminal J804 or the 32A 3 terminal j803 ( which are both the same physical size)

https://www.yesss.co.uk/switchgear-...white-16a-downlighter-junction-box-j501-p4609

Personally i like the 803 and 804 boxes and use them a lot, but feel the cover should have 2 screws as i dont feel the cover closes properly, if the cable sheath puts any pressure on it, therefore you tend to cut the cable entries oversize.

Last edited:
Yes :)
Thinking about it you are right.
for some reason I wrongly thought they were physically different in size as well as current rating.

Yes :) Thinking about it you are right. for some reason I wrongly thought they were physically different in size as well as current rating.
Yes, the casings of the two are absolutely identical, other than for what is embossed on them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back