Hair dryer keeps cutting out

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Have had good dependable service from my hair dryer using the middle setting for about 10 years.

I always use it in the same way, but now half way through drying my hair it cuts out. Once it's cooled down I can use it again.

If I use it on coolest setting it doesn't do this. I tried hottest setting today and it cut out immediately.

Do you think there is something I can do, like take it apart and remove dust? Or is it more likely just needs replacing cos it's old?

Thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
don't mess with it just throw it away, it is potentially too dangerous.

• Thanks
Reactions: Min
Wish I'd though of this before, cos I hate sending things to landfill - I asked my hairdresser who pointed out the filter was probably clogged.
I took off the removable cap, and she was right, the filter was clogged. It fell apart when I tried to clean it - it's a very open pore foam filter which as a spare part has been discontinued. Have substituted a green plastic pan scourer, cut to size, and hair dryer now works without cutting out. No smell at all either, so decided it is safe.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mary,
Annoying about the hair dryer. Your description of the fault and remedy is very useful. 10years use is pretty good value for money when you consider its cost over 10years, but finding a good one, you like can be a pain.

What happens with hot air blowers, electric rads and hair dryers etc... is they have a thermostat that cuts out, it opens a heat sensitive switch if it gets to hot internally. These tiny switches do get old and sometimes open more and more often or even stay open. It's a sign of it getting too hot internally! It's usually caused by not enough air passing through it and taking the heat away from the element inside the unit. My wife's hair dryer also has the removable cap and filter. If yours has one, take it off, clean out all the hair & dust, refit the gauze or filt and cap, see if that cures it. Also be gentle with them, hot elements are more easily damaged when very hot and then bashed down on a dressing, table or on the floor when you're finished or juggling brushes, rollers, tongs etc... Hope this helps?

• Thanks
Reactions: Min

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back