hairline cracks after painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've recently had my main bedroom walls and ceiling, boarded out and skimmed. I waited for the plaster to dry out proper like about 3 weeks I think.

After doing a fair amount of research I went down the line of doing a mist coat with trade matt emulsion watered down by 20%.

Once the first coat was done I started getting finer than hairline horizontal cracks appearing on the internal wall and one neighbour wall. I have then gone ahead with the second coat and while they disappeared at first they have now reappeared.

I'm not sure what I should do now. I did try filling some of them with Polyfilla Stick before getting on with the second coat but they still reappeared.

Should I continue with the third coat watered down or undiluted. Should I try the Leyland Leytex paint on top this trade matt? Or final colour?

Any insight and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time ;)

Jay

Sponsored Links
This normally happens when the plaster is drying too fast due to suction.
It could be worth using a hairline crack filler (polycell) and brush in and sand when dry.

Just go to your main coat. The thickness of the paint will cover them.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks a lot guys. :)

I'll try the Polyfilla fine stuff maybe and go for final colour perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back