Hairline cracks in fresh plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you stop hairline cracks appearing in freshly plastered walls. I Assume its down to movement but how can this be prevented?

Sponsored Links
i'm no plasterer, so i dont recall how to prevent it happening, but the primary cause of these cracks is shrinkage. I think its do do with that plaster drying too quickly.
Hope this helps in the mean time.. but it does seem to be quite common in buildings that i inspect.

weve run decorators caulk down the cracks, put a sealer over it and repainted it.

In my experience, this is caused because the plaster is drying out to fast due to high suction. (wall sucking the water out of the new plaster)

Cure, Wet surface thoroughly before applying plaster, or better still, give the wall a coat of watered down PVA before applying the plaster.

Mick

Sponsored Links
I agree with Mick,
It's a bit late now though, however for future reference, if you are living in the house, turn off your central heating in the room you are plastering, keep it well ventelated if you can and let it dry naturally, your fluctuating central heating, if it comes on and off during the day, will contribute to the cracking.

if you are living in the house, turn off your central heating in the room you are plastering, keep it well ventelated if you can and let it dry naturally, your fluctuating central heating, if it comes on and off during the day, will contribute to the cracking.

Very valid point. You would be amazed how many people wack up the heating once the plasterer has gone thinking, " lets get it dry then we can decorate tomorrow"

Then they call the guy back in and end up having a slanging match about who's fault it is :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back