Hairline cracks in new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I'm in the process of renovating a house and this has involved skimming various walls and ceilings. I've started to notice that a number of hairline cracks are appearing in the new plaster, these are predominantly over doorways under windows and are jagged lines. Is the only solution to continually fill and touch up the paintwork or is there a more long term solution? Should I also be looking for a news plasterer

Sponsored Links
If the house has been empty and now has heating on it may just be shrinkage from the house drying.

joe

By the sounds of it they are stress cracks...have you had a lot of work done structurally?.. do the cracks run from the edges of the cill diagonally outwards?...and the same above the wondow?...from the corners of the head of the window outwards?

Thanks for the replies, we've done some structural work but not a huge amount. Yes the cracks run diagnollay outwards from the top corner of the door frame or the bottom corner of the window cil

Sponsored Links
DanJohnston said:
Thanks for the replies, we've done some structural work but not a huge amount. Yes the cracks run diagnollay outwards from the top corner of the door frame or the bottom corner of the window cil

Think what you have is common in most houses, I find most houses with a block inner leaf get these cracks round windows and doors.
Tell your missus not to slam the doors :LOL:

DanJohnston said:

Definatly stress cracks then....rake them out a little then fill with ordinary polyfilla...NOT the ready mixed stuff..which sets like concrete!...if they keep coming back you may have to consider lining the wall...if they are really bad then use a lined backed lining followed by 800 grade.

I find that sanding these hairline cracks works quite well and then just brush over and roll over for the finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back