Hairline cracks in tiles - where plywood joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a tiled floor laid in my kitchen last year in April. Its started to crack in a line and I removed the kitchen plinth and realised its where the join is between 2 plywood sheets.

I used 18mm marine ply screwed into the joists and floorboards..but looking back at some photos I have realised that I laid it in the wrong direction :( :( I laid it parallel to the joists!

Is there anything I can do? Does the whole floor have to come up again? The plywood runs under the kitchen as well, it was fitted before the kitchen fitter came.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The plywood sheet should have been screwed into the floor boards not the joists.
And, as you say, it should have been fixed across the boards. But if you have T&G floor boards then they should be pretty steady.
Does the join come over a joist or floating in the joist bay(s) between joists?
Were the joists firmly fixed with no flex or bounce in the floor before the ply was laid?

If you have joist flex or its the ply thats flexing then you have a tough call to make.
In the event of lifting the floor its possible to do it while leaving the base units in place.
Can you get to crawl below the suspended floor?

Are the tiles cracking or just grout lines?
Did you use flexi adhesive and grout?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back