Hairline cracks on newly skimmed walls/ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I wondered if anyone can give me some advice.

I had some walls/ceiling skimmed mid way through February this year. I have just noticed that where we had some hairline cracks before, they have now come back in exactly the same place. (Athough they had been there a long time and didn't seem to grow much!)

One is straight down under a window.

The other is straight near the loft opening.

Both are straight lines.

Should I be worried about this? I think they will show through if we paint over it.

Any suggestions as with are the best paints to use anyway..??

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Ceiling cracks in a straight line are usually where the joint between adjacent boards has cracked; if your plasterer just skimmed over the original crack without using additional fixings to secure the boards & re-taping then it will just crack again.

The crack on the wall could again be the joint between the boards if the walls have dot & dab plasterboard but if it’s a plastered wall then, as before, cracks in the old plaster must be reinforced or the will just open up again through the new. If the crack goes right though the base coat (or even the blocks in some cases) more drastic remedial work with steel lath is required. I always advise on cracks I think may be a problem & offer to repair but permanently sorting them can be expensive; have you considered calling your plasterer back to see what he says? They will show through paint & even filler will most likely crack again but hairline cracks will not affect the structure.

Make sure you prime/mist coat the new plaster before painting; ordinary matt white emulsion, thinned 25-30%, apply 2/3 coats in quick succession, leave to dry overnight then apply your chosen finish. Personally I don’t think “quality” & expensive branded paints are worth the money but the Decs will disagree with me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back