Hall/Landing switches, old wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my hall and landing lighting. Downstairs is a two switch light fitting, upstairs landing is a one switch fitting. The downstairs light has two sets of wires supplying power to the switches, each wire carries one red and one black wire. the light fitting has two gangs labelled "L" at the top and "L1" bottom left "L2" bottom right. I have tried to wire the switches as per the lighting diagram which came with the switches but I'm having problems. I can get the downstairs only working via gang one, red wire in "L" and black wire in "L1", but no matter how I wire the other gang and the upstairs switch I cannot get the upstairs working. I need to wire upstairs so that it can be switched on and off using both switches upstairs and downstairs. The below drawing shows the set up, can somebody please let me know how to wire these switches so both lights work. nb the old wiring system had a small 2inch red 'flywire' but I'm not sure what this was for.

Sponsored Links
The top two diagrams should help -

electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:2way_scheme_v2.jpg

Glad you have moved here far easier than other forum.
From your description you have a variation on this.
Alt-two-way-wiring.bmp

The brown wire shown going to L1 in one of your switches has been replaced with a link from the other switch.

It is only a guess of course. The problem is at school we were shown this
two-way-school-boy.bmp
which although it works means in practice one has to put connectors in the switch box so the more normal is this
two-way-real.bmp
however since you say three wires at one switch and two at other with link I am assuming variation on top image. But there are many ways which can be used and we are just guessing at most likely way.

Sponsored Links
At the upstairs switch, are you saying you have a cable with two reds and a black?

That's right, two red one black. As per photos below.

Downstairs light works ok, I just need to know:

Downstairs Gang two, What goes in "L", L1" and "L2". and what was the two inch red flywire connecting?
And upstairs, what goes in "L", "L1", and "L2".
cheers.

Downstairs switch.
Black to L1 - (should be sleeved with red as upstairs)
Red to L2
Link from L to L.

If the switches are metal they must be earthed.

All it needs is the link re-instating between the red of the downstairs switch and the L of the upstairs switch at the lower switch plate. The twin cable to the upstairs switch needs to go in L1 and L2.
This looks like the classic examle of a borrowed neutral though.

nb the old wiring system had a small 2inch red 'flywire' but I'm not sure what this was for.
So you decided to ignore it. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know what was going on inside your head when you decided that it would be OK for you to work on electrics when you knew that you didn't actually understand it.

I'd love to know what was going on inside your head

Well I'm not gonna tell you, it's a secret and you're not allowed to know.
I came on this forum for a bit of "HELP" from professionals and advice to fix a little domestic problem, however what you've succeeded in doing is wasting a couple of minutes of people's time by reading the pointless 'input' you've given, well done you. I can't fathom why you chose to post this, I can only assume it was a vain attempt to gain a little bit of comedic acceptance from your tradesmen compatriots. Sorry but you might have to try a little harder next time, please feel free to schlap some other incoherrently unhelpful remarks on my post, OR you can go and hijack somebody elses post. Good luck either way. I cannot begin to tell you how your preachings have changed my life, it has given me the opportunity I longed for to have a good long look at myself and I'm delighted to say I've changed my ways, forever. And it's all thanks to you, I'd like to extend an invitation to you to become a foster father/life guru for me and help to keep me on the path to rightiousness and overall self-fulfilment. Now that you've taken the time to read this post you can either reply and await my 'ignore' selection, or you can disappear and go back to charging old ladies £100.00 an hour to change their light bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back