Halogen light fitting- flickering / buzzing, now not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

About 6 months ago I got a halogen light fitting from B&Q similar to this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1/c_3/3|cat_14418021|Spot+lights|14418024.htm

but it was about £5....

After a few months of being fitted, I noticed that every now and then it would flicker and then it developed a buzzing sound too.

Now its stopped working altogether and I haven't got a clue why.

I have checked the connections to the light and they all seem fixed in solidly...

Anyone got any ideas where I could start trouble shooting this? Check bulbs / try new fitting / check wiring to light / check switch / check wiring to switch?

BTW it is not operated off a dimmer... it works on a pull switch like normal bathroom lights.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
The one you link to uses mains lamps so if it is the same then there is no transformer to go wrong.
Is it installed in a bathroom? That one from argos isn't really suitable.
Your problem sounds like a loose connection somewhere, it could be in the fitting or in the switch, could even be the switch itself.

Thanks Spark123,

Yes it is virtually identical to the one in the picture, doesn't have a transformer IIRC.

Yes it is installed in the bathroom. What dictates whether it can be used in a bathroom or not?

Will check the connections again and see if I can find anything, if not I suppose i'll have to buy a new lamp and try that and if not buy a new switch and try that... ?

Lights for use in a bathroom are ideally enclosed owing to the humidity. Fittings for use in bathroom are usually sold as bathroom lights.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest...

Ideally enclosed or Must be enclosed?

I'm sure there are plenty of bathrooms around (including mine) that just have a standard pendant light fitting with a normal bulb in the end?

Would this still be acceptable in a new build? if so, that probably means that that light above would legally be ok, even if its not ideal?

It depends where it falls within the zones and the type of luminaire, I wont go into legality of it vs british standard ;)
Some older installations have pendants with a home office skirt (yuk) - a proper bathroom type fitting is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back