Halstead Ace High Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help I am a woman who knows nothing about boilers!

I moved into a flat just under 3 yrs ago and within 2 yrs my bolier stoped working Halstead sent an engineer aout and they replaced the pump and all was well. This morning just over a year on the boiler has again stopped working and i'm sure its the same problem because the boiler tries to fire up as before but then stops. Halstead said the part is only under warrenty for a year and i'm just outside that now so they won't help, as they didn't install the boiler they won't take responsibility and think it may not have been flushed out properly and dirt is causing the problem with the pump! I hope this is making sense to someone.

Anyway my question really is if i need to replace the pump and have it fitted how much am i looking at for the parts and labour - i don't want to be taken advantage of if you know what i mean!

Should I be expecting to replace the pump every year or so?!

Any help would be appreciated - thank you!

Sponsored Links
I think you just need to replace the pump head on them boilers. £100 tops (including the part). You just may have been unlucky with that last pump. It should last at least 3-5 years if not the life of the boiler. Although i have had them go kaput after a few weeks. We don't make owt in this country anymore and everything is bought in from abroad for peanuts. If you pay peanuts you get chimps. Quality control in other countries is dire!

Not fully familiar with the boiler but it does have a primay flow switch so if the pump was seized the boiler wouldn't even try to light.

Quality control in other countries is dire!

Thats a little unfair. We'd all like to see UK manufacturing however where quality control fails in abroad in my experience is only things like wrong fittings/screw packs, things not tightened etc. The actual manufacture of products such as pumps, burners, gas valves, appliances etc is good, you just have to sometimes do your own QC prior to installation. [/quote]

Sponsored Links
A premature failure of a pump is usually because the system has not been cleaned.

Without cleaning the system any replacement pump is likely to have the same lifespan in dirty water.

The correct solution is power flushing with a guarantee.

In this case as stated the pump must be working if the gas lights. There are a lot more things to go wrong in a boiler than just the pump.

Tony

My advice would be to get BG (British Gas) to repair (fixed price I think) then take out their boiler cover package, that way any future problems (and they will be some as I've got one of these ;) ) will be sorted for a fixed monthly fee of around £13. If BG do need to flush the system then it's gonna be expensive, £400+ is about the norm. You only pay for a powerflush once for the life of the system with BG so if it needs doing again in 12 months time it's free provided you have their boiler cover.

Domestic and General offer a similar package I believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back