Hanging and Decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a bit old and can't bend down the way I used too! So instead of wallpapering the whole wall, I decided to buy mdf to the size I wanted and wallpaper the mdf. My problem is I'm not sure how to hang it?

The size is 670mm x 1220mm x 6mm - has anyone got any ideas about hanging this, there will be a number of panels in the room, so want to get it right. I don't want to use no nails which has been suggested and being a woman, I'm a bit hit and miss with the drill now-a-days :)

Any help appreciated,
best wishes,
Witty

Sponsored Links
My advice is abandon this ridiculous mdf idea and employ someone to wallpaper the room for you in the tradional manner.

Get someone recommended (by someone who knows a good job when they see one, that is) to do the work. Be wary of the odd job men who advertise in the local paper.

How dare you! I'm still trying to be as independent for as long as I can, hence the plan. Just because you don't like it, you don't have to be rude.

Just delete me from this forum. I don't need the likes of you telling me what to do!

Sponsored Links
How dare you! I'm still trying to be as independent for as long as I can, hence the plan. Just because you don't like it, you don't have to be rude.

Just delete me from this forum. I don't need the likes of you telling me what to do!

What did you ask for then?

If you really want to do it your way, you or someone else will have to use a drill, and use wall plugs (if solid wall) and suspend the boards with screw in hooks or ordinary screws.

Otherwise you're just going to have to lean them up against the wall and hope they don't fall on anyone.

Presumably you have already papered these mdf boards, but generally speaking I think it a ludicrous idea.

Clearly you haven't thought this through properly.

There is no substitute for a proper job and there is no shame in getting a pro or even a skilled volunteer in to help you.

Reminds me of Hi de Hi.

Every season the ballroom dancers wallpapered their holiday chalet by fixing it to the wooden walls with drawing pins.

Now there's an idea.

I'm wondering whether Witty meant she planned to paper the MDF sheet/s with a feature wallpaper and hang it on a wall almost as if it were a large picture. We've probably all seen this kind of thing done on TV shows and, in all honesty, it can look quite effective if done well.

However, if she meant she planned on papering boards to hang over the entire wall then I have to agree that it's a bad idea.

If you are still reading this thread, Witty, would you care to enlighten us?

I imagine it to be one board on each wall, just to create a bit of a feature.

I wonder what age the house is, and if it has a picture rail. If so, maybe using a traditional picture hook would do it (providing the picture rail has a decent fixing).

The weight is of some concern.

That said, I am concerned about how 6 mm mdf may bow, twist, warp if just 'hanging' there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back