Hard Water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i (like many in the UK) live in a hard water area (peterboroughish).

my inlaws tell me to put a magnet on the pipes. what is this?

what other ways are there to prevent the limescale from building up?

Sponsored Links
Magnet devices are a waste of money. The only proven method is to install a water softner unit.
Pete

thanks pete- something like this?
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0-1951

where are they installed and rough estimate on getting one fitted? are we talking £500 or £1000?

people "say" my area has hard water, but is there a way to find out for sure? a test?

Sponsored Links
i'm most concerned about my shower clogging up. can i get a specific water softener for one applicance?

£1000... not too too hard to swallow. where are standard salt-type water softeners installed? loft?

Usually installed where the mains comes into the house if room. You need easy acess to load up the unit with salt so ground floor utility room ideal.
Pete

meggles said:
i'm most concerned about my shower clogging up. can i get a specific water softener for one applicance?
If I were you I'd fit the 'ScaleWatcher' type of device wherever you want to reduce the scale - you could fit a handful and still be saving money compared to a salt-guzzling water softening white elephant.

Or to put it another way, you could buy lots of magnetic gimmicks that don't work, for the price of one ion-exchange softener that does.

p.s. if you want to buy a gimmick that doesn't work, I will send you a piece of magic string to tie round the pipe, for only £5

people "say" my area has hard water, but is there a way to find out for sure? a test?

The website of your water company should tell you. Also you can get a strip of paper to test, from a plumbers merchants.

JohnD said:
Or to put it another way, you could buy lots of magnetic gimmicks that don't work, for the price of one ion-exchange softener that does.
I think you know that's not what I was saying. I have two (non-magnetic) devices in my own house and I'm pleased with the benefits and also with the complete lack of running costs.

I've got a Permutit in my house, and I'm very pleased with the lack of scale and soap scum, the softness of people's skin and hair, and the small amounts of Persil and Fairy required. the cost of salt is not signficant.

And look at my kettle:

POL_0158.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back