Hard Wiring an electric range oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am getting a new dual fuel range oven. The previous oven was "plugged in" & i will not be able to do that with my new oven.

There are only the remains of the old thick cable with sockets sticking out of the wall that used to be attached to the old fitted kitchen units.

So there is no isolation switch etc etc..... Fuse box is a long long way away.

How much would it cost... roughy to install? Or am i better getting a gas oven to avoid the hassle & cost!!!

Any help will very much be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lots of variables to consider for giving a cost.
Condition and provisions of existing.
So hard to say, if you have tiled walls and want isolator sunk and don't have the correct protective devices on circuit for new appliance, get the string out and measure it!
Would really require an on-site visit.

So, i understand... lots of variables, but, in general terms what has to be done? Because if new wiring has to be fitted back to the fuse box...i'm getting a gas oven, or can a "junction" box of sorts be fitted in the kitchen that the cooker will run off....?

In terms of isolation switch, the kitchen is a shell at the moment so tiles etc aren't a poblem....

Sponsored Links
If you already have a cable from the consumer unit and the consumer unit is already RCD protected then it could be as low as £50 but if the existing cable is not good enough and you have no RCD protection it could mean changing a consumer unit and running new cable which could cost £500.

So there is really no point in asking the question.

The other point is one electrician may consider there is a different amount of work required to another so there is only one option get some one to give you a quote.

Gas is no better. In fact I was quite surprised when travelling as a pair with a gas fitter on how strictly they followed the rule book. A wall cupboard just 1/2 an inch to close and they just got back in van and refused to do the job.

I have never been able to understand why when the gas cooker is on a plug and socket it needs the gas man. But it's always been that way. The song "It was on a Monday Morning when the gas man came to call" is very old by Flounders and Swan so never been any different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back