Has anyone tried this before?

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I just bought a 2nd hand 2005 Renault Kangoo last Monday. The owner has given me 2 keys, which is good. The key has the remote switch and immobiliser built into the plastic bit that forms the body of the key.

In one of the keys, I found the remote buttons missing. However, the previous owner assured me the immobiliser is still working, just that the remote buttons are missing.

My question is, can I just buy a separate normal RF remote and have it coded to work the same way as the other key.

Look forward to any thoughts or ideas because the replace key will cost S$350 to S$400. The remote costs around S$30 - S$40.

Thanks & cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Anyone's guess I'm afraid......I haven't had to do this, but I have soldered new switches onto the PCB within the key. Maplin Electronics had what I needed.
John :)

Anyone's guess I'm afraid......I haven't had to do this, but I have soldered new switches onto the PCB within the key. Maplin Electronics had what I needed.
John :)
John don't know if they have a Maplins where John Tan hails from!

Sponsored Links
Guys, thanks for your replies.
No, we don't have Maplins over here, however, we do have a shopping centre where there are many shops selling electronic components.

Looks like I just may have to take a wild shot, buy a remote and code it (not too expensive). Probably 12-15 quid. definitely cheaper than a replacement key and remote. I was quoted around 200 quid for the replacement!!

Will post an update after I have tried it. But it will have to be sometime next week as I am going to be really busy this weekend.

Cheers

Back