has my builder just taken away needed structure...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am new to all of this.. but today my builder came in and cut away a lot of internal wall on the ground floor of my 1930's terraced home.
When he was knocking it all out I saw the edge of a reinforced concrete lintel and quizzed him on the positioning... but he seemed to be fine with knocking it out.
When I returned home I saw that there was a concrete footing directly below where the lintel would end.
I am really worried that he may have just got rid of some structural wall that helps support the joists above... or maybe I just don't know what I am talking about - but someone please let me know what you think!!!
See photos attached...

Any comments and thanks in advance!

M
View media item 87395 View media item 87396

Sponsored Links
Hi mjw1988,

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about it, a load bearing or structural wall would not of been build over floor boards. More likely a structural wall was removed some time ago and you've discovered the remains!

Is there any wall above, and lift a floor board above or poke a hole below have a look (the builder will be replastering anyway -hopefully)

Beefy

was it where I see that slot in the ceiling?

was the lintel above a doorway?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated!
There is no wall above - just the hall way and there was a reinforced concrete lintel above the existing doorway before it had been taken out.

ha

just a partition wall, and the lintel was to support over the doorway.

Not structural

As you can see from the ceiling laths in the slot above, the upper floor was built prior to the partition wall going in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back