Has the law changed - TV licence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has the law changed. Many years ago when I was living in a caravan I wanted to use a TV set as a monitor on my computer. Since a TV was also being used at home I could not have a TV in the caravan as well. I was also told it was the having of a TV that mattered not watching it and if it was capable of receiving broadcast TV signals then I needed a licence.
I enquired what I would need to do so it was not considered as a TV and this seemed very vague so in the end I bought a monitor for my Amiga computer.

I have just read two articles on the BBC web site. Firms issued TV licence warning and Q&A: When do I need a TV licence? and the comments on broadcast do make since as only live TV is broadcast the catch up TV is on one to one basis so not broadcast so no licence.

But I though it was ability to receive broadcast TV not the actual receiving of broadcast TV that matters so if any sites offering broadcast can be received one would need a licence even if your not actually viewing them?

So to just tell employees not to view TV would not be enough the router would need configuring so any site offering broadcast TV was on banned site list.

But now it seems you can have a TV to use with computer games without needing a licence?

I was also told about one poor pensioner who was given a VCR and was fined because it received in colour even though she only had a black and white TV but now it seems you can have a set top box and black and white TV even though the set top box receives colour and still only need a black and white licence.

It seems therefore there have been some changes or have I got it wrong?

Sponsored Links
I dont think the law has changed, only peoples awareness of what the law actually is and many site have had a clarification of it.

You can have a TV that is capable of receiving broadcasts withhout licence.

If you watch pre recorded shows, videos or DVD's but NOT broadcasts at the same time they are broadcast to everyone then you do not need a license.

It is the "use" of equipment not the owning of it.

Regarding using a TV in a caravan then read this.

Sponsored Links
I dont think the law has changed.

The law remains the same, it is just how the law has been interpreted and enforced that has changed due to the cases your thinking off.

More people are aware of exactly what the law states now and as such are in better positions to refute allegations made against them.

IN short - we wised up to the tv licensing scare tactics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back