have bled radiators: still only hot @ bottom but cold @ top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help with a heating issue. We have a 3 storey home and the radiators the top floor only do not function well: they are hot at the bottom but not at the top. I've tried to bleed them but this does't help (plus nothing comes out).

Do you reckon is it a pressure problem and do you know how we can fix it?

Any help would be great!

The boiler is a Baxi Potterton 100HE boiler....unfortunately yes it is a Baxi Potterton! :oops:

Sponsored Links
When you say nothing comes out is that air or water?

^^^ Agree

If you dont get air out, the air point can be blocked with dirt (which as you state you have a 3 storey house, you mean it a pretty new build, so dirt will be a factor).

You must get water out of the top to ensure the radiator is full of water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your feedback.

To answer neds, when I say nothing I mean neither air or water comes out when I bleed the 2nd floor (top floor) radiators.
Instead, when I bleed the working ones on the ground and 1st floors water comes out right away.

To answer bigpkr, it is a relatively new house (2002). Like you I thought something must be wrong as no water comes out, and that the air point might be blocked. Could you suggest how we might resolve that?

Thank also to Dan_Robinson. I couldn't find the FAQ article on system pressure - would you be able to send me the link?

Thanks again all.

Thanks guys - all works now! I write here what I did for the benefit of other guys who might have the same issue.

We have an expansion vessel and realised that the pressure gauge was giving a reading of 0.3 bars only! (We bought this house quite recently so the previous owners obviously didn't realise that).

After locating the filling loop (connected to the expansion vessel) I increased the pressure to 1.1 bars and after turning the heating on that dropped again to 0.9. So I increased it again to 1.2.

Then I bled some of the radiators in the top floor and finally water was coming out. The pressure further dropped from 1.2 to 0.5 so I increased it again to 1.2.

I bled the two remaining radiators in the top floor and the pressure further dropped to 1.0 bars. At the moment all seems to work ok so won't increase the pressure again but just leave it at 1.0.

Hope this might help other guys with the same issue!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back