Have the house builders messed up with the CH programmer? + installing Nest 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

What a week we've had!! Megaflow sprung a leak (9yrs into a 10yr warranty), boiler pcb failed (£250 from baxi!!) and now the plumber tells me the programmer has died.
Thing is, I have a feeling it's not been connected correctly when the house was built. Shouldn't the cable going into 2, be moved into 3?

Basically, when we turn the CH off the water comes on, and when the CH is on the water of off!!! Amazingly we've only just noticed (lived in this house 9yrs lol).

2dkloox.jpg

m8fswh.jpg

34gscxs.jpg

3097v4p.jpg

azfkuh.jpg

20jh56o.jpg

Now I'm focused on this I'm wanting to replacing the entire lot with a gen 3 nest thermostat. Can I pull the programmer off, replace with the nest hub, and then pull the thermostat off and connect the live and switched live together?
The nest is wireless and will control both CH and water via the hub. I'll just power the nest stat from the mains socket with it's USB plug.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't the cable going into 2, be moved into 3?
Yes. Whoever installed just looked at the word "ON" above terminal 2 and didn't see that it was connected to the 'off' side of the CH switch.

The "standard" wiring for programmers is: 1 = HW off; 2 = CH off; 3 = HW on; 4 = CH on. I have never understood why the terminals have been arranged in this way; 1 & 2 for HW, 3 & 4 for CH is much easier to understand and less likely to result in errors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back