HD Ready or Full HD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, what is the difference between HD Ready and Full HD. I am looking to buy a new TV, 37-42 ins any suggestions which Manufacturer would seem to be the best? I am with Virgin Media and am looking for a good TV but I dont want anything too complicated. The wife and I aint exactly in the first flush!

Sponsored Links
You are going to have to sit very close to a 42" TV to notice much of a difference between the definition of a HD Ready and Full HD set. The reason for choosing Full HD is more to do with watching Blu-ray. There is something called 24p which eliminates image judder with Blu-ray.

If you have no plans to invest in a Blu-ray movie collection then the chances are that a HD Ready TV will suit you down to the ground.

The next most common question is Plasma vs LCD. For my money the answer is always plasma when it comes to home viewing. The manufacturer to buy is Panasonic.

A plasma set is going to reproduce fast motion better, have more natural colour rendition, and if you buy Panasonic, far better sound reproduction than an equivalently priced LCD TV.

Have a look at the Panasonic TXP37X10 and TXP42X10. They're great TVs.

Thanks Chris; gone for the Panasonic 42 ins from John Lewis

I am not familiar with the term Full HD. I know HD Ready means that the TV can produce an HD quality picture, but it needs another device to do the decoding, like an HD set top box or an HD receiver from your cable company. When you buy an HD Built-in TV, the TV has an HD decoder 'built in' and so you don't need anything but an antenna to watch HD content.

Sponsored Links
Gregsult, your definitions are a little off.

HD Ready and Full HD refer to the resolutions of the displays. Full HD describes a TV or projector with a true (native) resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. HD Ready describes any TV or projector with less than that resolution. An example would be an LCD TV with 1366x768 pixels.

These displays have an input capable of accepting a HD signal up to and including 1080p. It doesn't really matter if the input is from a TV aerial, set top box, Blu-ray/HD-DVD player :)

The situation is a little different in the US and the UK. The US adopted HDTV broadcasts much earlier than us, so their system is based around MPEG2 and HD sets with an integrated HD tuner have been around since the start.

Our HD broadcasts started much later and hence are based on later standards, so it's not a case of simply sticking a different plug on a US-destined HDTV and sending it to the European markets.

However, to be labelled as "HD Ready" or "Full HD" in the UK, the TV doesn't actually need to have an HD tuner built in as we use external tuners for HD cable and HD satellite (apart from a tiny number of TVs with a built in freesat HD tuner). All it needs is an HDMI or DVI socket and HDCP.

TVs with built-in Freeview HD tuners will be released later in the year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back