HDMI over Cat5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm installing a wired network into my house so that I can stream content to the tv's and so that any smart tv's that I buy will be able to connect to the internet without the risk of rubbish bandwidth over wifi. I'm going to use HDMI to Cat5 converters and wondered whether they use TCP/IP or some other protocol. Id like to run the traffic through a network switch but I can only do this with TCP/IP.

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Ok I got my answer by searching around a bit. Baluns dont use IP but there are more expensive devices that do.

Be aware that some converters use two cables, some use one. The ones that use two cables usually have less restrictions as the HDMI cable has a minimum of 5 data paths. With 2 cables these can be accommodated without any conversions, while with only one cable it needs to mux all but the 3 video channels into one circuit.

Sponsored Links
That's OK if you don't mind being completely antisocial in the radio spectrum. They are to the radio spectrum as the antisocial neighbour who winds their megawatt HiFi system in the front room up to 11 so they can hear it at the end of the back garden is to the audio spectrum.

These things are not, and cannot be, compliant with the most basic EMC requirements - but our authorities seem afraid to upset their paymasters (the likes of BT) and have expended a lot of effort in finding excuses for it not being their problem. And don't fall for the industry PR that it's just a bunch of old beardies (radio amateurs) affected - it affects lots of things, including your ADSL signal, the CAA have expressed concern, as have the BBC and others.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/spec...and-ofcom-what-is-the-plaplt-issue-all-about/

That's OK if you don't mind being completely antisocial in the radio spectrum. They are to the radio spectrum as the antisocial neighbour who winds their megawatt HiFi system in the front room up to 11 so they can hear it at the end of the back garden is to the audio spectrum.

These things are not, and cannot be, compliant with the most basic EMC requirements - but our authorities seem afraid to upset their paymasters (the likes of BT) and have expended a lot of effort in finding excuses for it not being their problem.
It is indeed, while a clever solution to a problem, quite odd that as yet no one has gone 'but thats illegal and about as complient as replacing airbags with spikes' and baned the lot.

Daniel

Indeed. For some reason all Uk regulators have put a lot of effort into showing why it's not within their remit. In particualr, the RA has put much effort into justifying lack of action on the basis that the devices aren't intended to be a transmitter - even though a fundamental effect is pretty well guaranteed to be lots of emissions due to shoving loads of RF down a leaky feeder antenna !

Other bodies say there's nothing they can do as they meet regs - but only by testing them in such a way as to show compliance when not working. A bit like proving that a light bulb isn't too bright when it's switched off !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back