Head of frame and window not matching :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I ma new to the forum and was interested to see if anyone else has an idea on how this can be done...

On the side of our house currently we have 1 fixed window which has a concrete lintle above and below.

We are putting french frames in the other side of the same wall (about 3 metres away from this window, we have ordered the door at 2.4m by 2.1 high.

Great but - - - I have measured where the frame will sit, is it sits on the dame course and measure 2.1 up it hits the middle of the brick so ill have to either put a plastic strip above the french frames or pack underneath - this is only about 1 inch so neither here or there and can be done quite easy but.... this is the problem.

The concrete lintle which will sit above thje french frames on the catnic will not be in line with the original lintle on the other side, so when you look at the house from the patio you will see the 2 headed stones and they will be a course different.

So the options i feel we have...

1., pack the bottom of thje door so the top lintles are in line, this will mean we have a step coming out of the french frames of about a brick and a half?

1. We keep the frame on DPC and we have the top of the french frames and other window out by 1 course. My new french frames will sit 1 course lower than the original window.

My dad says it has to sit in line or it will look really bad, i do not want to have a HUGE step on the french frames and have said tough, i would prefer a small step rather than a big one to get out the house!!

Are there any ways around this?

Cheers all

Mike

Sponsored Links
Have you tried changing the order yet, it's the first obvious solution!
I assume from your door/frame description that this is a PVC door, using packers is usual, almost all (unless built for) PVC units have either head or foot packers, no big deal...pinenot :)

Not sure if you got what i meant, yes called and frame nearly done so cannot change, the issue is not the packing as i can pack from below or above it is that i will either have a head lintle out of line with the other one, a gap to fill above the door or a step over the french frames.

For me the step is the worse option! :)

If I've picked you up wrong perhaps you could provide a pic?

what I've proposed is that when you clip in packers to the head of a PVC frame it looks part of the frame, building up to the desired/ correct height (as you have described in your post) without raising the threshold! a pic will help to show this I think...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
If you meant uPVC packers across the top of the window yes that is an optio, this would mean on top of the frame there would be packers up to about 5 inches before the sandstone lintle - Do you think this would look good?

It was the first option i thought of as i dont want the heads out of line and i dont want there to be a huge step before the french frames,

I dont have a pic yet, i will have on the weekend, havent yet knocked out the hole :)

A door sill needs to sit at floor level or lower (in some circumstances) irrespective of head heights.

You would have to be clinically insane to want to raise an exiting door sill above floor level just so you can match a header elsewhere.

Set your lintel so that you create an opening size as near to 2100mm as you can.

You could have a taller opening if you wish but it may mean having an infill panel above the door head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back