header tank circulating , from cold fill to vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am a first time user although i have read lots of post,s on here .

I have just fitted two , two port valves and a new pump to my system , which is an open vented system , we only moved in a short while ago and have had problems circulating the water to the 15 rad,s , ihad to turn the pump up full to get it moving , i will put sludge remover in over the next week or two blah blah blah .

the problem i have is this i fitted a new pump thinking that i may need a more powerfull one so i fitted a 6m head pump it was a 5m before .

the water is circulating from the f/e tank feed and back out of the vent with the force of a bath tap , the pump is set on n/o 1

is it that i have to increse the length of the vent pipe or what

by the way i have turned off the feed tap and it is running like a dream

please help Dave

Sponsored Links
Did you replace the two port valves or add them as an upgrade?
It shouldn't pump over on 1, possibly piped wrong or a restriction in the cold feed/open vent area.
The vent pipe should extend 450mm above the water level, I doubt if altering your's will have any great affect.
I assume the "feed tap" is on the cold feed, between the f&e tank and the system - "it shouldn't be there" - turning it off may remove the symptoms but it is not running like a dream. The pump is likely to dump water into the f&e tank and as it can't be replenished you will cause more problems.

Did you replace the two port valves or add them as an upgrade?
It shouldn't pump over on 1, possibly piped wrong or a restriction in the cold feed/open vent area.
The vent pipe should extend 450mm above the water level, I doubt if altering your's will have any great affect.
I assume the "feed tap" is on the cold feed, between the f&e tank and the system - "it shouldn't be there" - turning it off may remove the symptoms but it is not running like a dream. The pump is likely to dump water into the f&e tank and as it can't be replenished you will cause more problems.

Thanks Mick

yes your right it,s not running like a dream

the valves were a replacement one was sticking closed and when i looked at the other it was a mess

the gate valve is on the cold feed , dont know why either the whole system works when i close the valve , and then run,s from the vent when i open it as it should be ,

do you not think that i should have put a 5m pump back on ? , do you think if i put the sludge remover in it may clear the partial blockage

Sponsored Links
are you sure you have the pump in the correct direction

Hi

Stanboy

Yes it is in the right direction thanks

my first thought was oh you pr--- , you have put the pump on
the wrong way, but no i managed to get that bit right

Dave

Before you add the cleanser, I would recommend cutting out the feed/vent connections and relacing with new tees and bit of pipe, probably best to use compression so that it can be disconnected easily in the future.
It should be configured; boiler->vent->feed->pump, with max 150mm between vent and feed.

Before you add the cleanser, I would recommend cutting out the feed/vent connections and relacing with new tees and bit of pipe, probably best to use compression so that it can be disconnected easily in the future.
It should be configured; boiler->vent->feed->pump, with max 150mm between vent and feed.

Yea , i thought that was the only option , but i turned off the feed from the tank , turned up the pump and banged the tee a good few times ,

now i have opened up the feed again , the pump is on 2 and i only have a trickle from the vent , about a half of a cup an hour ,

do you think now that i may get away with putting the vent poss a meter higher and then back down a meter ,

P/S the config is all ok

22mm from boiler up to vent , with a 22mm tee only 80mm across to another tee 22mm down to pump , and a 15mm feed from tank into that tee , the pump is about 300mm down from that tee.

Cheers for all your help
Dave

do you think now that i may get away with putting the vent poss a meter higher and then back down a meter ,
That is not the way to go, it will block up again, the cutting out is the only way.
How far above the pump is the f&e tank?

I would also remove the valve on the feed pipe. Or at least disable it

That is not the way to go, it will block up again, the cutting out is the only way.
How far above the pump is the f&e tank?

Thanks again Mick

I will do that

The tank is only about 1.5m above the pump , and about 2.0m away

ie the feed pipe go,s along the loft about 2m with a drop of about 150mm , then it go,s around a 90 degre bend a meter then drod,s down into the airing cupboard , the pump is about 1200 to 1300mm down from that.

Thanks Dave

I would also remove the valve on the feed pipe. Or at least disable it

Thanks D P

I do intend to remove this valve that there is no need for , but it is handy to have untill i sort the current problem ,

I will cut out the old pipe and rejoin using comp fitting,s in case the bas----- block,s up again.
At least it is giving me somthing to do at night and at weekend,s now the football season is over.
Dave

1·5m is ok, just, any less can cause the problems you have.

1·5m is ok, just, any less can cause the problems you have.

Well , what a weekend

I was going to cut out the " H " section on saturday . ie T to T , but as i was p----d off with it on thurs night banging away , i decided to go and
give it a taste of it,s own medicine , so i banged it a few time,s , and the system took it,s revenge.

I was leaning on the top pipe going into the coil on the cylinder which is a large tank 1500 x 450 mm , and it let me know by springing a leak on the joint , so saturday was taken up with fitting a new cylinder and cutting out the old pipework.
had a few bang,s , but put sludge remover in , and it,s started to ease up a bit , it was nice to have the heating blasting out over 30 degres inside while it was nearly that outside .

Thanks again for all your advice
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back