Health 'n' safety!

If it's a cavity wall, why would anyone use a course of headers (or snapped headers)? ?

It's not a cavity wall.

They have built up off an existing wall which is likely 9", hence the new wall corresponds.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Can you tell that from the pictures?
Not entirely, no. As I said in an earlier post, the angle of the photograph is obtuse so it distorts the image.

However, if you look at the brick ends (which aren't as distorted by the angle) and consider their proportions, you can see there is little or no cavity.

Not entirely, no. As I said in an earlier post, the angle of the photograph is obtuse so it distorts the image.

However, if you look at the brick ends (which aren't as distorted by the angle) and consider their proportions, you can see there is little or no cavity.

Thanks again. I'd have thought that house wasn't old enough to be solid wall, but what do I know?

Are there any instances of domestic properties with 9" thick outer walls, a cavity and 4 1/2" thick inner walls? If so, I want one! It'd be like a castle!

Sponsored Links

Thanks again. I'd have thought that house wasn't old enough to be solid wall, but what do I know?

Are there any instances of domestic properties with 9" thick outer walls, a cavity and 4 1/2" thick inner walls? If so, I want one! It'd be like a castle!

There are lots of modern homes/extensions with solid block walls, using thermal blocks such as thermalite, Durox etc

Some not even specified with waterproof render inside or out.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I'm not-so-interested in where DC has slunk off to, after:

accusing me of assuming that the builders were non-native (OP stated they didn't speak the lingo, on P1);
assumed that the neighbours had objected to the work (OP stated that no such objection had been mentioned, or lodged);
implied me being racist, when I had merely stated an opinion that the builders in the pictures didn't look eastern european, but Indian.

He'll probably claim that it was a bank holiday, or his tractor was broken. Fat chance that he'll admit he's a raving nutcase, inventing s h o i t e to further his warped agenda.

Newsflash DC - Nosey said "fair enough", so you can jump on his coat-tails; it's safe.

;)

Basically you had a reasonable house with a nice hip roof bodged into part flat roof.

Looks a real eyesore now.
Argricultural is how I'd describe it. lol.
Don't know why planners allow people to bodge their homes up like this.

Basically you had a reasonable house with a nice hip roof bodged into part flat roof.

Looks a real eyesore now.
Argricultural is how I'd describe it. lol.
Don't know why planners allow people to bodge their homes up like this.

I often take the metropolitan line into London, and a lot of similar houses have been imo disfigured by this sort of "improvement". Shame....

Just noticed the scaffolding. Tubular steel pipes and bracketry.

Was over in somerset a while back and noticed the same. On the drive between Bristol and Somerton.
Here in the province its mostly quick stage.

I'm not-so-interested in where DC has slunk off to, after:

accusing me of assuming that the builders were non-native (OP stated they didn't speak the lingo, on P1);
assumed that the neighbours had objected to the work (OP stated that no such objection had been mentioned, or lodged);
implied me being racist, when I had merely stated an opinion that the builders in the pictures didn't look eastern european, but Indian.

He's not the only one.
There are a couple of people on here who make sweeping accusations which they then conveniently forget about having made when asked to back them up.

You know who you are! :mrgreen:
JXC

Just noticed the scaffolding. Tubular steel pipes and bracketry.

Was over in somerset a while back and noticed the same. On the drive between Bristol and Somerton.
Here in the province its mostly quick stage.
Both are used in England, but transom/stanchion type scaffolding is more versatile and better on uneven ground, whereas Kwikstage (used to be known as Kwikform when I was a lad) is a lot faster to erect once the first stage is levelled.

A lot depends on the type of site and how 'flexible' you need the scaffold to be. Kwikstage is nowhere near as versatile when it comes to narrowing sites, shaped spaces, differing levels and having a multitude of adjustments as the scaffold goes up or outward.

gonads the size of Jupiter.great vid.

chances of me even attempting anything like that,NADA,ZILCH,ZERO.

Sponsored Links
Back