Hearth problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey anyone

I have a tiled hearth. The corner of the hearth/tiles has been kicked away and whilst I can easily remove the tiles and replace I'm unsure how to build back up the hearth corner. Obv I would use a concrete mix I presume but how do I keep it's shape? I've watched other builders use a wooden frame. Is this correct? And how do I stop the concrete from drying attached to the wooden frame??

Sponsored Links
The proper stuff is release oil but engine oil (used or new) will suffice.

You may need to remove all this oil from the concrete before trying to fix your tiles.

Sponsored Links
There's usually no problems striking the formwork from relatively small area like that without special precautions, especially if you only need a surface good enough to tile, not a perfect finish all over with razor sharp corners. Multiple 8X4 sheets of shuttering is a different matter.....

Petroleum jelly (eg Vaseline), candle wax, cooking oil or furniture polish on the timbers would probably be as effective as engine oil.

Hitachimad thank you it is only a small repair so that sounds just what I need.

Tricky T thank you too for the petroleum jelly idea ...although 'striking the formwork' not sure what this means :confused:

Striking the formwork = removing the timber shuttering after the concrete/resin has cured/set.

Can be done carefully while concrete is 'green', ie. after 12 - 48 hours.

on the broken corner you would be better off drilling into the hearth and inserting either screws or small bits of pipe/rod ( just a sort of reinforcing), shuttering then add your concrete, just adding to it wont give it the strength whereas if something is dropped it wont break away again, you could if you want use a powdered tile adhesive to build the corner up then lay your tiles into it as well, saves buying different items

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back