heat line vizo 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
vizo 24 boiler with boiling hot central heating spot on near instant no problems there, however hot taps are running cold ocassional luke warm but not hot.
First thought maybe the diverter motor has packed up.
Checked that works fine!
The diagnstics on front panel light up as normal my thoughts now turn to diverter itself.
Am I ruling out too much such as thermostatic sensors and pcb's to early.
Which is the most common cause for hot water failing in this model?

Sponsored Links
feed pipe to diverter scorching hot.
pipe from diverter is cold.
with motor removed it kicks in and out ok. even tested using new one to compare same results.
system also flushed not bad murky for 5 minutes the nice and clear.
brand new build end of 2006.
so all new rads all professionally installed shame really they did not install a bit better system considering the amount of fitting cost in comparison seems strange.

Its not really very clear what you are saying compared with how a boiler works.

But its probably a blocked plate heat exchanger as no one pays to have a cheap boiler installed properly.

The boiler costs about £390 and we charge about £840 to install but people prefer to pay a 1/2 day no clean man £300 instead and wonder why the system is dirty!

Tony Glazier

I think your talking about botch job fits rather expertly fitted unit such as this!
the unit which is a cheap to buy unit was installed buy a very good fully qualified plumber whom is known to me.

so perhaps your assumptions may be taking you into a different tangent knowing this or will they?

the facts at present.

ch works
all diagnostics work
gas fires on demand
dhw does not work
divert motor checked changed both comparible and both run spot on

water heats up feeder pipe to diverter valve, no hot water after diverter valve.
So what your saying is happening to the diverter is the water is travelling through the diverter but not the heat exchanger unit due to it being blocked, therefore the water is returning back rather than traveling along the destined pathway that being the heat exchanger.
By the way
I am trying only to assess the situation prior to the plumber who is away on holidays .
by getting the parts ready for him so I don't waste his or my time.
I would contact him as he is very helpful as he always like to save waiting for parts and get on with the job asap we all need a holiday and I ain't interupting his.
My local plumbing supplies is 24 to 48 hour turnaround.

Sponsored Links
If he is so good then he will have properly cleaned the system and the plate will not be blocked. It will also be the first Vizo which I have heard of being fitted on a correctly treated system?

He will also be able to diagnose the fault himself and know how to chemically clean the plate.

If it is the plate blocked then he should clean it free under his installation cleaning guarantee!

How much did he charge for fitting the boiler? Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate?

Tony

Glad to know the information you have provided.
I was unaware that the garrantee from his fitting would cover this being that the unit it's self is long out of warrantee.
This new build property was purchased by myself after all works completed with new build regulations all signed up present and correct.

So I should be able to get the plumber who fitted the system nearly 5 years ago to fix it then free of charge?

I have only only ever heard of the benchmark gar on newer fitting and gas safe regulated fitting recently, the fitter who is most definetly now gas safe previously corgi reg is a plumber of testiment so I just have to go without hot water then until he returns I guess. 11 days lovely jubbly my 3 year old loves cold showers .
I will not be waiting for his return and will be contacting another plumber to deal with this now knowing his return date is so far away.

Atleast I know that something has blocked the heat exchanger and its not the diverter valve sticking or totally knackered.
Cheers

I think the installer should clean it free if its blocked because he did not clean the system. I would but then that woulod never happen on something that I installed.

You dont know exactly whats wrong and not do I. But it does sound like a blocked plate and I have to clean one about every month or so and few other faults on that model.

In our local area we charge about £136 if thats a guide but some dont like to clean them and prefer to fit a new one. My way means a one visit fix without returning with parts. But many charge for a return visit but I dont hence my desire to complete the job on the first and only visit.

Tony Glazier

I spoke to the installer and he says system was cleaned through using some jetstream cleaner.
He to said it shouldn't be blocked but said that it does sound exactly that problem being that I talked through systematically at point over the phone.
He has provided me his buddies number who was able to walk me through many steps to make it easier for him to fully flush through the exchanger and refit I suggested I buy a new exchanger he said no point spend £80+ on it its probably not necessary.
He said if its still not working then we'll just put a new fitting kit on the diverter as it can't be anything other than those 2 things but it's highly unlikely its the diverter valve.
We hardly use the hot water this is probably one of the reasons maybe its sitting sedement perhaps.

I'm hoping it's just the plate although the kits on order incase role on the weekend he may be able to get it done by then.
cheers

well I got the plumber to take a good look as agile said the heat exchanger was the main culprit but despite cleaning it up and getting the dhw and chw working there seems now to be a sensor problem.
The check dhw sensor light keepsflashing and non of the other lights apear even when central heating is on and running.

The problem is now the plumber can't fathom out why it's gone like that all connections have been checked.
So its going to be a few days before the main man comes home 10 more and unless we find a cure I will have to only briefly run the combi won't I.

What the plumber said was try and find out what is the reset for this vizo.
I can't see how that may help?

Check the plug is in the DHW sensor. Its in a very difficult to get to position on bottom left if I remember correctly.

If connector is on then remove and dry with hairdryer incas it was wetted during plate removal.

Measure the resistance should be about 13k. If open circuit needs to be replaced.

Tony

Yes it's the one at the left corner (side plate off) corrosion of the both connectors, damp type thick green, had already cleaned them up I have a feeling I will need to change the plastic clip rather than the sensor will multimetre check it this arvo.
In fact I may well just change the both for peace of mind.
It doesn't look good clip side even after cleaning It may well have rotted and perished the terminals.

Thanks again

Well its bonkers boiler time!!!!
It's started woking.
After the rigmorole of the heat exchanger flush through and the thermistor sensor fault.
The boiler was left on today all morning dhw light flashing and no other lights on the box.
This afternoon left on but heating on just 15 degs so did not kick in.
Now just 30 minutes ago started to chill down in house so uped the temp to 20 degs and after10 minutes I checked the boiler out all lights working no flashing just the normal lights happily measuring the tempreture and the dhw is 60c plus wahoo fingers crossed legs crossed and prey to whoever.

Strange all I can think is the water draining got terminals too wet and circuit was lost??????????????

oh well it's got the thermister problem showing again.
plumbers back now so will give him a bell on Monday to change it for me.
the thing is the central heating all seems to work and the hot water is lovely even with the light flashing???
Man!! My systems having a real good flushing through, thats 4 in 2 weeks.

Although you were sceptical about me telling you the plate was blocked from your description and your assertion that the installer was through and trustworthy the facts show otherwise. Its evidence like this which I use to form my views on the poor job done by those fitting cheap boilers and working for house builders/developers.

To deminstrate just how bad it can be, someone bought some bottles of inhibitor cheap on Ebay but all the installation date labels were missing.......

Not only was the plate blocked as I had expected, but the installer cleverly sidestepped the issue that he in reality did not clean the system adequately and should morally have come and cleaned it free.

Clever move though to give you details of his friend whom obviously was not guilty and would need to be paid.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back